Mon, Oct 10, 05 at 11:26

Hi guys

This question has probably been asked many times
before so I hope no one gets too annoyed with my
question.

I have limited shade space and a large number of
Hostas that have to be planted there. Until this
season a bit of that space was taken up with some
nice Ferns. Japanese Painted and Ostrich (I think)
were the largest. I love the look of Ferns and want
to be able to keep growing a few....intersperced
with the Hostas....and would like to know if anyone
could recommend some dwarf or mini Ferns that would
work. Colorful like JP would be a bonus.
Thanks for any help.

Curtis/m2m

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Small or Dwarf Ferns

There are a lot of small ferns which possible to grow with hostas. Such as Polystichum setiferum 'Congestum', Dryopteris erytrosora 'Gracillima' or Dryopt.erytros.'Prolifera'. New fronds of the last 2 are reddish but turn green with age. Athyrium filix-femina 'Congestum' or some of the Polypodiums are also possible to grow. Polypodium vulgare or Polypodium x mantoniae 'Cornubiense'. Your can have a look at some photographs of ferns at my homepage. http://www.farngarten.de/e_index.htm
regards
Athyriana

o

Also, shade isn't the only type of space in which you can grow ferns. Polystichums and Dryopteris in particular will grow in remarkably dry conditions; some Dryopteris in particular I've had in three-quarter day sun in a dry spot for several years.

The only other outdoor fern besides the painted fern that has a real colour to it is Arachnoides simplicior var. variegata. Hardy to zone 6, though, according to my source, so might not work for you.

Some of the small Woodsias (eg obtusa), however, are extremely cold tolerant (zone 2!) as are the Osmundas, although the latter are very big (but tall, so can fit between hostas :-)). Asplenium (platyneuron and trichomanes) are also small and very hardy. Finally the Adiantum aleuticum/pedatum (maidenhair fern) is very cold-hardy and is so delicate-looking that it would interplant well with hostas without blocking your view of them but tough enough that it would hold its own.

Finally, Polystichum neolobatum and Polystichum rigens are both modestly sized and hardy enough.

o

You're welcome, Curtis :-)!

o

I'd suggest A good small fern is the Korean Rock fern, Polystichum tsus-simense. It's readily available from several commercial sources.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here