Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Wood Fern (Dryopteris normalis)

gardenbug
12 years ago

I am very new to Ferns! I have 2 Wood Ferns planted in urns. I would like to know if I should being doing something to care for them over the winter months. I am in Zone 8b, British Columbia.

Now, I don't know what they are called but at the base of the fern, just above the soil line, I can see what looks like bulbs (kind of knobby) What are these? Should I cover them with bark mulch for the winter? Thank you.

Comments (5)

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Hello!
    The "bulbs" are probably next season's fronds still curled at the crown.
    I grow the native Dryopteris here, and they handle the cold weather just fine.
    In a container, they might be a little more sensitive, but I wouldn't think it a serious issue.
    I wouldn't cover them with heavy bark mulch, but a layer of natural leaf-litter should be fine.

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Josh, So, these are actually next season's fronds. That is very interesting. They are above the soil line, should I be adding more soil to cover them?

12 years ago

Hello!
    To be honest, I've never worked with Dryopteris normalis specifically.
    However, with my other ferns, next year's fronds are all bunched together in the crown
    with their wooly, golden-brown coverings. I always keep the crown of my ferns above soil-level,
    although I will push some leaves against the base during winter.

Can you take a picture of the crown of your fern?

Here are some pics to compare - this is a Woodwardia (Chainfern).
    These fronds have already started opening, as can be seen, but they are much tighter
    during the Winter (pics taken in March).

{{gwi:615081}}

{{gwi:615102}}

Josh

12 years ago

Another couple pics...

First, a pic of the leaf-litter that I leave around the fern crown during the winter months:

{{gwi:599267}}

And a better pic of the fronds still curled tight against the crown:

{{gwi:599271}}

Josh

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Josh, these photos of your ferns are lovely. Yep..this is exactly what I was referring to. I've been busy with hallowe'en and birthdays this past week, maybe tomorrow I can take a pic of my ferns. I'll put some leaves around mine too for the winter. Thank you for helping me with this.

Sponsored