Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID some Fungi?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 13:56

Found a couple of interesting specimens growing out on the forest edge at an amusement park I'm working at (I'm doing their haunted house). At the edge of the forest, growing out in the wood mulch covering their outdoor theater.

First one shouldn't be hard, looks like a normal orange coral fungus. Not poisonous, although from what I've read it can be a major laxative to some people.

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

These I'm not sure about though:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

The tallest ones I saw were growing a good 6, maybe even 8 inches tall. Any idea what they are? I'm going to treat them as poisonous until I can find out for sure otherwise.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID some Fungi?

Kinda late to the party...but the first looks like clavicorona pyxidata. It's cestipose (grows on wood). While edible, ramaria formosa is a close look-alike - and is poisonous, causing digestive disturbances. If the flesh bruises and turns reddish-brown to black, it's the ramaria.

The second one looks like a coprinus or "inky cap." They get pretty big....

o

I had seen the ink cap as being similar, but I got to observe these over a period of a month, and they never (that I saw) dissolved into the inky goo that gives ink caps their name. They just shriveled up and died like (almost) any other mushroom.

o

I don't think the coral one was clavicorona pyxidata, because she is much more slender and can be very clearly seen growing on logs. This one is meaty, grows on soil (maybe buried wood) and looks more like one of appalachian ramarias, I eat them all. Cook well though. If you slice through the base of the coral and see some clear jelly contents, then it is the one blamed for upset stomachs. Never did me any harm again. Don't eat raw mushrooms. As to the coprinus-looking one, as long as it is really dark-spored, it still is a coprinus. I have seen them fail to turn into ink just because. Some coprinus species are tiny.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here