Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
odd little plant in my moss gdn

Posted by donna_midwife MD7 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 14:17

This little creeper showed up in my Japanese garden this spring. It grew among my polytrichum which I had sown from the woods, but has spread across the other mosses, too. It has leaves like a tiny nasturtium, but split like a waterlily's. It has flowers like a watercress, white and the size of a pinhead. The leaves are about 1/2" avg.

Any ideas what it might be?

Here is a link that might be useful: odd weed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: odd little plant in my moss gdn

sorry, new flickr acct -- trying again to link the pix

Here is a link that might be useful: odd weed

o

It looks like dollarweed.

o
Dollarweed

Here's a link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dollarweed or pennywort

o

Yes, it is a Hydrocotyle species.
While the link above is interesting Hydrocotyle and this
species that is plaguing your mosses may not be a weed
species but rather a local native species.
In California, where I am at, there are three native species. It is a great plant for shallow water spots.
Your best course of action to contain it is to pull it up
when it gets started as it is viny in habitat forming
runners like strawberries which root out every now and then from whence a leaf grows.
I would recommend moving some of it into a small watertight bowl with some earth that sits just below the rim and flooding it until water sits on the surface and then plant in the Hydrocotyle and sit out in full sun or partial sun. An interesting accent for a table and fairly easy to contain as it is a shallow rooting plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here