Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's eating holes in my irish moss?

Posted by karenminbrooklin Brooklin, ON (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 07 at 14:45

I noticed holes in my transplanted irish moss about a month ago. It seems to be getting worse. The moss was transplanted into a large raised planter at the base of a japanese maple at the end of July, did great for a while, then I started seeing the holes. This morning I saw 2 wormish looking things with ugly heads, seem to be living in some of the holes, but I can't find them now to take a photo. What are they, and how can I get rid of them?! I live in Zone 5, outside of Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Here are some photos I just took.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's eating holes in my irish moss?

Your irish moss looks nice.
how about flooding the planter repeatedly and getting
the soil waterlogged to force the worms up out of it.
??????

o

Hi. I know this was a while ago but I'm facing the same problem, ever figure it out : )

o

lol, yes I did. It was some kind of grub/slug. When I see it starting, I use diatomaceous earth on the moss and they disappear in a few days without causing much damage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here