Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this edible? Is it poisonous?

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 15:02

Once in a while, some mushrooms sprout from my potted plants. This latest one is in the pot with a Alocasia calidora.
Thanks,

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this edible? Is it poisonous?

I get these every now and then in my plants. They're called Leucocoprinus birnbaumii, and I believe they cause stomach pains or other discomfort if eaten, so I wouldn't suggest trying. They are fun to look at though, mine usually end up dying early though since they pop up in my succulent pots, and I don't water them often enough for the little mushrooms to get very large.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 25, 10 at 19:39

Some of my other pots have some weird mushrooms sprouting too. Wonder where they came from?

Thanks,

o

Probably just came from spores floating around. They could have come from a plant you bought or just come in through the window. I got some kind of stinkhorn in one of my houseplants years ago, but since then I've only ever seen the yellow mushrooms. They shouldn't cause any harm to your plants, so they're nothing to worry about (unless you have a kid or pet that may eat them). I think they're interesting additions to a potted plant, while they last.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here