Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ID this Mushroom? (see photos)

Posted by im_a_believer 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 07 at 15:21

I really enjoy morels and this mushroom looks a lot like a morel. However, they are emerging now, in October, in my garden and I've not seen them there before. It appears the mushroom emerges from the ball shaped thing in the first photo. There are many of these ball shaped things all in about a 3' square area. From this point on I'll keep a check to see if more emerge. The last photo is one cut open

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ID this Mushroom? (see photos)

that is a stinkhorn mushroom. I wouldn't try eating it.....

o

Thank you growerman for posting. I've gone to several mushroom sites on stinkhorns and I can't find this one. And it doesn't stink, or I didn't think so. When I picked a fresh one it smelled like a morel, except much stronger.

o

I would hesitate to try identification based only on a photo, but, if you want a really good book that you can carry with you on field trips. Try " All that rain promises and more" By David Arora. He also wrote " Mushrooms demystified". The first one has a guide on the inside of the covers, both front and back that helps with on the spot ID. Cost- 17.95 and well worth it!

o
mushrooms in Hawaii?

Does anyone out there know about mushrooms in Hawaii? On the big island to be more specific. If there are, are they introduced, or "native". And are they edible?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here