Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss between stepping stones

Posted by zinia z7NC (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 21:55

Can moss grown between stepping stones tolerate light, foot traffic? If so, can someone recommend the type of moss? The stepping stones are behind my house--north side.
Could I use round-up to kill the weedy grasses which are between the stones and start propagating the moss directly between the stones, now?
Thank you,
Zinia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss between stepping stones

• Posted by thane z8 Bellevue, WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 11, 06 at 13:51

I think most moss can tolerate light foot traffic. Yes, you can use roundup to kill the weeds. Roundup doesn't hurt moss.

You're probably best off finding the moss that's growing wild in your area in similar environments to your stepping stones. Read some of the FAQs posted on this forum on moss propagation, they're full of excellent information.

o

Zinia ,I have scraped sections of moss from different areas of my yard ( it doesn't seem to grow that deep )and along with it about a quarter to half an inch of underlying soil and placed them between my stepping stones. I would then stomp on the moss to get it to ,sort of adhere to the ground underneath. I have even run my wheelbarrow loaded with wood over the areas and so far so good.Even if some of it dies, there should be enough to propagate more. I dont know what type we have here in pennsylvania ,or whether its the same you have in N.C...I too got tired of grass growing between the stones and hopefully the moss will choke out most of any grass trying to fill in the same area. And best of all no trimming is required....Tom in PA.

o

Thank you for the good information. I've been noticing moss in parts of the yard I haven't noticed before. Will encourage some to grow in other places as well as the stepping stones.
zinia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here