Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of moss is this?

Posted by danesnpits 2b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 30, 13 at 7:21

It was in a bag, dried. I soaked it in water and it seemed to come alive. Now what to do with it. I am not sure what it is, but it did say sphagnum sheet moss on the bag. When I googled sphagnum sheet moss I couldn't find a thing. I have this indoors. Anyone who can clearly identify this moss, and some good uses for it please let me know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of moss is this?

Hi
Looks like sphagnum moss for sure but there are many kinds . Sphag is used extensively for a potting material mostly for orchids , some types of carniverous plants usually dead, but can be used alive . gary

o

I made the buttermilk slurry out of this and spread it over a very large rock..It's inside, wonder if this will grow onto it?

o

Hi Gary, well I went and did a slurry with this stuff, with buttermilk then smeared it all over a huge rock in my living room. Will it grow?

o

hi
My guess would be no as MOSt sphagnum mosses are aquatic, growing in areas of very low pH often called "peat bogs" Since there are a gazillion types of mosses and dozens of kinds of Sphagnum mosses it's difficult to guess lol. Most of the commercial sources are harvested from standard "peat bogs" if you know the source of your moss
would help to identify it . Famous sources are New Zealand,Peru and most famous Ireland Obviously very different types ??lol You might google "Sphagnum" or peat bogs Good luck with your experiment!! gary

o

I don't see anything that looks like Sphagnum in that pic. Appears to be one or more pleurocarpous mosses.

o

The package it came in said it was grown in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I live actually.

o

Hi
There you go . i use a lot of Canadian peat to beef out my florida sand but have never tried to grow it just tropical sphags but then only as potting material
You might google the Id of Lycopus for some clueslol gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here