Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
esthermgr

innoculating wood chips in atlanta?

esthermgr
14 years ago

I just mulched huge portions of my yard with fresh wood chips (some white oak and other random stuff), and I'm wondering if I can innoculate shady sections with edible mushroom spores.

Any suggestions on easy-to-grow tasty types that would work in Atlanta?

I've never grown mushrooms before- is this doable? I thought it would be cheaper and more carefree than ordering a kit...

Thanks,

Esther

Comments (3)

• mrsmuggleton
    14 years ago

Can you get mushroom compost where you are? If so, I would get some and spread it around, hopefully some spores will be viable and you will get some come up.

• esthermgr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's an interesting idea. I looked at one website that offers spawn plugs not too far from me. If I supply the hardwood logs, the kit with the wax and the plugs is only 20 bucks- so maybe I'll just do that.

• mensplace
    14 years ago

I wish I had your courage! I live just NW of Atlanta and can get woodchips aplenty, but somehow the sheer fear of eating something that could kill me negates my great love of cooked mushrooms. IF there were a sure way to KNOW that I KNOW that I KNOW that the bite I am eating would not be my last, I would just LOVE to try growing mushrooms. Unfortuantely somehow, I'm one of those who wouldn't eat FUGU either. In the absence of an expert when harvesting shrooms shouldn't I just put that on my list like skydiving and cliff jumping.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus