Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foiled the squirrels!

Posted by mosswitch 6b (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 4, 11 at 11:35

Finally! After years of much screaming, yelling, and throwing things at the squirrels that worked diligently at tearing up my thick moss lawn to bury their darn acorns, or digging them up in the spring, I went for the ultimate weapon, and spread black bird netting over the area they were attacking, pinning it down securely so I wouldn't trip over any of it. I used wreath pins, of which I already had a box, and if you don't look closely, it is almost invisible.

The robins helped with the tearing up part too, looking for worms under the moss. Destructive pests!

The moss is already growing through it and filling in nicely where the critters had destroyed sections. I figure by spring the netting will be covered up completely.

And no squirrel or bird damage since I put it down. Whee!

If they go for another section of the lawn, well, I still have more netting and lots more wreath pins!

Sandy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foiled the squirrels!

Sounds like a plan to me, Sandy.
BTW, now I understand where you screenname comes from.

I have a dachshund who loves to chase squirrels in HER YARD. She does not dig, which is a blessing. But I constantly have issues with pecans planted by the squirrels coming up in my flower pots and the leriope borders of the flower beds.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here