Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
frosty fern (sclaginella). Zone?

Posted by bunky z6 OH (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 17, 07 at 14:26

I bought this fern the other day and have no idea what it really is. I can't find it in my fern book. On the tag it says "Dense clumps of mosslike foliage. Use as groundcover in moist organic soil. Plant in part shade, 10" apart. Grows to 6 inches tall." I would love to plant it outside in the spring, but I don't know what the zone is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: frosty fern (sclaginella). Zone?

Check the pix on the link to see if that is the one you have.
If so, it will have to be treated as a Houseplant in your Zone, as Selaginella kraussiana is only hardy to about 10F, and some of the cultivars, 'Aurea', 'Gold Tips', Variegata',etc., are even less hardy.
Can be succesfully grown indoors during the winter and moved to a shady location outdoors during the summer. Keep soil moist at all times, do not let it dry out. Place in a well lighted location, but not in direct sunlight. Fertilize regularly with a diluted, balanced fertilizer.
Yellowing of the fronds is an indication of lack of nutrients or overwatering and underwatering(both produce same indication).
Selaginella kraussiana is a native of Africa, the Mediterranean Region and the Azores Islands(Spain).
This cultivar is often available at Lowe's(was that your source)?
Good growing! :<)
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Frosty Fern

o
RE: frosty fern (sclaginella). Zone?

That is a nice cultivar of Selaginella kraussiana!
For keeping in the home I would recommend putting it into an old aquarium or a large gallon jar and putting saran
wrap across the opening. And if you have a clamp-on light fixture with a 60 watt bulb you can set it up so the plant is about 12" to 14" above the top of the plant. Be sure to have sprayed down the inside of the jar with preferably distilled or rain or r/o water before inserting the potted selag. You can run the light 24/7 and the plant will do great. the main consideration is making sure the humidity level is right-you should have condensation on the saran wrap covering the opening of the jar.
I am linking you to a page I did on my species S. kraussiana in strobili. I grow it as stated above with the only exception is that I filled the jar (in this case a
plastic snack bowl (? bets me what it is intended for) with soil mix and added the plant. This arrangement sits in my bathroom on the toilet well. This plant likes it coolish (with highs into the 70s but prob. best in 60s).
If the plant starts to become lanky looking move the light down a couple of inches.
Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selaginella kraussiana in strobili

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here