Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to start ferns from spores

Posted by tanyuu (5/6 - South IN) (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 7, 12 at 15:08

I've got a batch of different types of outdoor fern spores that I'd like to start this winter indoors so they'd be ready to plant in the spring. However, I can't find information on when to start them! Does anyone have any advice on when to start them?

In case this helps, the varieties are: Ebony Spleenwort, Cinnamnon Fern, Lady Fern, Hay-scented Fern, Sensitive Fern, Japanese Holly Fern, Clivicola Fern, Japanese fern, Cut-Leaved Grape Fern, Christmas Fern, Rattlesnake Fern, Ostrich fern.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to start ferns from spores

If you're doing it indoors then it probably doesn't matter, provided you're able to maintain humidity. Most ferns don't like too high a temperature.

o
RE: When to start ferns from spores

I've grown them from spores before. Some are easier than others. Holly ferns are very easy. Any fern that is inexpensive is probably easy to reproduce from spores, that's why they are inexpensive.

The way I did it: wet some sphagnum moss and put it in small plastic pots or cups. I used small ice cream cups with round tops. Soak the spahgnum for a bit in some consan, which is a fungicide and bacteriocide. Put it in the cups, and sprinkle the spores on it. Put the tops on the cups and put them under fluorscent lights. Mist them if the sphagnum starts drying out. Some will grow more quickly then others, but they will take a year or so before they're large enough to plant outdoors, maybe longer. Most are slow growers.

Here's a link to the Houston Fern Society, which I used to be a member, of, and this is the way they showed us to reproduce them from spores. Do you know how to collect ripe spores? If you get a magnifying glass, you can see the ripe spores burst out of the spore capsules. It's fun to watch that!

You'll find some info here or in the American Fern Society link, I believe.

http://www.tgcfernsoc.org/fern.html

Here is a link that might be useful: American Fern Society

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here