Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Shrooms Indoors

Posted by Pongalong Wisconsin (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 2, 12 at 15:54

Hey, I need some help. I want to start growing mushromms indoors. I need advice on getting started and maintaining my crop. I do not want to break the bank buying a mushroom kit. I am a frugal gardener and would like to start my own shrooms. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Shrooms Indoors

No, You don't have to buy a mushroom kit if you have substrate material on hand. I recommend a starter mushroom... the Oyster mushroom which will grow on wheat straw , paper, coffee grind, cardboard, etc.
You need to buy spawn... search internet on oyster mushroom spawn. Mix sterilized substrate material and spawn together and put them in a plastic bag in the dark, then forget about it for a month or so. When the substrate covered by moldy white... that is mushroom growing... good sign. Take the bag out of the dark, Cut a few slot on the bag to increase air flow and mist if the substrate is too dry. The mushroom will pop up.

o
RE: Growing Shrooms Indoors

I'm growing my first indoor mushrooms as well (the glow in the dark kind). The above is pretty much exactly what I did after reading the instructions.

I drilled into my hardwood substrate, inserted the pre-innoculated plugs, put it in a rubbermaid container with the lid closed along with enough water to keep the wood moist, and set it in the corner for a month and a half or so.

I now have it spreading across the wood, and I've gotten a cheap aquarium to turn into a terrarium to let it grow in on a shelf to show it off.

The terrarium should help keep the humidity levels high enough for it to stay happy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here