Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sadlera cyatheoides

Posted by houstonpat 9a (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 13, 07 at 15:57

Can anyone confirm my identification of this guy.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sadlera cyatheoides

Yes, you've definitely got a Sadleria there at last, Pat. But even though the overwhelming probability is that it is indeed S.cyatheoides, we'd need to see more photos to eliminate the faint possibility it's one of the other five species in this Hawaiian genus. Can you post an overall shot of the plant, a close-up of the topside of a pinna, plus a tighter crown/stipe view as well?

But it's good news you've found a Sadleria. How did you manage to track one down, Pat?

o

Will get those photos on soon. Well, I didn't get a plant. I only got the spore. Went to the source. High rainforest on the Big Island of Hawaii. I couln't find any Sadleria in nurseries there and wasn't equiped to saw one off, transport it etc.

o

More pics from the area.

o

Uttlerly fantastic photos, Pat - the best I've ever seen for this lovely species. That's screamingly right for Sadleria cyatheoides - you've nailed it at last. I know it's a Blechnum-like Hawaiian genus all of its own, but I like to think of Sadleria as a 'pocket' Cibotium and maybe the most realistic and convenient way for most of us temperate types to get into this style of fern. I just love 'em!

o

Many thanks Stephen. Just trying out my new camera on a trip last week. I'll post more photos of in situ ferns this weekend.

o

Pat,on the cloudforest.com plantboard,scroll down to 'tropical Portrero Hill garden' and in the fourth photo behind a gunnera is a 22 year old Sadleria growing outdoors in cool San Francisco-it's enormous for a plant that took low 20's in 1990 and about freezing in 98 and possibly the this last winter.

o

WOW! WOW! & WOW!

Those are just fantastic Pat. I guess that blows away the notion these are "small" ferns.

(did I say wow!?)

PF

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here