Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greenhell73

Looking for Equisetum giganteum (giant horsetail)

greenhell73
18 years ago

If anyone has a plant/rhizome/division/stem cutting they would be willing to sell or trade, or know of a commercial source for this plant, please let me know! Thanks,

Nile

Comments (10)

• karinl
    18 years ago

I can point you to any number of horsetail-infested properties near where I live - I imagine that just keeping your eyes open would find you some in your area. And all you need is a piece.

• NHRed
    18 years ago

New England Bamboo has Equisetum hymale, which gets about 3 feet high. Very unusual plant - I get alot of comments about them. I would send you a clump of mine but it is not that well established yet.

• greenhell73
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, I do have E. averense near where I live, but I am interested in finding some giant varieties. I may try to get some E. hymale, but I am most interested in E. giganteum...

• lilypons
    18 years ago

We have found that it grows well in arid environments, provided that the roots do not dry out entirely. We have even had plants growing in our gravel parking lot where pieces of the plant have fallen and rooted. I would recommend using a barrier of some sort around the roots of all Equisetum varieties, as they can become a nuisance quickly in most parts of North America.

Here is a link that might be useful: USDA information on E. giganteum

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

I believe I saw some at Hughes Water Gardens in Tualatin OR last weekend. They aren't listed on their website though.

They were much larger than what I am used to seeing in fields. Thicker and taller. It had started to rain hard and I didn't go over and read the sign but did notice the unusual size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hughes online

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

Hey buyorsell888 can you check it out.
    I found only one place that has it. apparently there are two
    different species that are called giant equisetum but
    the real e. giganteum is only at this one college on the
    east coast.
    I emailed them last month and they have ignored me.
    Maybe they are afraid of having the plant become a weed
    in this country????

So how about Hippuris? not so tall but a good lookalike!

• spage1
    18 years ago

I have what I believe is Equisetum hyemale L., and
    Equisetum telmateia Ehrh. var. braunii (Milde) Milde - giant horsetail. I can send you some of the Eq Hyemale if you like. I only have 2 short cuttings of the other and I dont even know how to root it. Hopefully someone will see this and inform me. I have had it for 2 days and it is just stuck in water. Once rooted I would be glad to share. I can also tell you where I got it and you could call them to see if they would send you some. It was in a display garden at a nursery. What I have was just laying on the path way and I was told I could have it. Let me know.

• terrestrial_man
    18 years ago

Hello Spage1!
    Left a response on your other query.
    thanks I would appreciate a cutting once your plants
    are up and running. Just be patient with them.
    Keeping in water is fine though I recommend changing the
    water every few days, though I must admit that with the
    horsetail species I have that I don't bother! I just
    stick the ones with roots in a bucket with water and
    by the time I get around to looking to see if any have
    survived i will pot up those and toss the dead ones.
    I let it grow in my yard! It is not that hard to control
    and it is cool to know that the plant may have originated
    millions of years ago and has been growing every since!!!
    Now if I can figure out how I can do that!!!!

• billsmoot
    14 years ago

I have been looking for the same plant also! I DID find it listed at www.PlantsDelight.com but they are temporary out of stock.
    Guess we'll just have to be patient... If you fine another source, please let me know - and I'll do the same...

billsmoot@cox.net

• drmom21
    13 years ago

I found what I think you all may be looking for at www.patioplants.com

I bought some plumeria from them and noticed they have a fair amount of plants for wet areas. Good luck.