Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kerrie58_gw

Staghorn Fern Help

kerrie58
12 years ago

My staghorn is about 3yrs old and seems to be dying. Its leaves look dehydrated and the bowl is shrinking in size (already small). I am watering it every 2nd day and applied liquid fertilizer also have put Ozmacote inside previously. Am I able to boost the size of the bowl with some moss or similar; I think there is not enough in there to hold food/water etc. Any suggestions?

Comment (1)

• User
    12 years ago

Ahhh, Australia...
    How do you keep it hydrated there?
    I have several staghorn ferns, and I put some wet moss around a piece of wood (no salts in the wood) and then I used copper wire to secure the plant to the whole thing. I kept it in the shade, which, in our zone 8b in south Alabama USA is quite humid. I do not fertilize it at all. I do spritz the leaves, which do NOT like to have dust on them, and neither do they want you to remove the fuzz. A healthy leaf is a fuzzy leaf.

What sort of normal humidity do your ferns have? And what size is this plant you are having trouble with?

Probably putting some compost tea in a tub/container and immersing the plant in it will help to remove all the overdose of chemicals for a fresh start. Then let it drain.

Let me see if I can find a shot of my young plants, some of which even started new babies within the moss before they had fully attached to the wood board.

In the summer, I hang my young plants by chains from the tree limbs outdoors, in the shade of course.

One thing I discovered was SCALE on some of them, when I had a scheffelera near by. I finally got rid of that scale magnet, and cleaned up the scale on my staghorns, and now they are all doing nicely. Good luck with your young plant.

{{gwi:616734}}
    {{gwi:616735}}

and here are the babies and a good view of the moss. No soil used at all. Keep the moss damp, not soggy.
    {{gwi:616736}}

Sponsored