Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing moss in an indoor container

Posted by lachelsa 6/7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 20:27

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I don't know a lot about gardening, but I really enjoy growing a variety of plants (mostly indoors), and they tend to live...

Moss really appeals to me, and I'd like to try to grow it a small planter indoors. Does anyone have any advice for me? What kind of moss would be best for a small planter in an indoor environment? I don't think I've ever seen small portions of live moss for sale at a nursery, so where could I go to purchase some? (I live in the Nashville area, if anyone's from around here.) Also, is there any kind of moss that grows small yellow flowers? I don't know if it's considered a "true moss" in that case; but it's really just the look I'm going for, rather than the technicalities.

Thanks for helping out a complete novice! I tried doing some research online but didn't come up with much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing moss in an indoor container

Most commercially available terrestrial mosses are not suitable for indoor cultivation. The main reason is that they really do best with humidity and a cool temperature range from the mid 60sF down into the low 40sF. However, there are some tropical mosses available but then you still have the issue of humidity and providing a cool down at night for them (down into the upper 50sF).
But there is a group of aquatic to semi-aquatic mosses that can serve your purpose and will do quite well in a planter that this partially filled with distilled, rain, or r/o water. The most common one is called Java Moss.
Will growing in water the moss will grow out onto any nearby surfaces, such as a piece of wood.
Mosses do not flower but there is another aquatic plant that may be found on the net at a water plant retailer caller Bladderwort. Since the plant is a carnivorous plant it may also be found under Carnivorous plant retailers. There are several species. To get it to flower you really need to provide adequate light. Check the link below for a couple of images. These flowers are very tiny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common bladderwort

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here