Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
junktojewels

Growing Moss

junktojewels
20 years ago

I'm new to this idea, but I really want to do it--grow moss in my yard. I do have shady spots, but I don't know how shady it needs to be. I'd appreciate any help getting started please. Also, I heard a recipe for growing moss faster by mixing it with yogurt and smeering in on a rock. I didn't get the details, so has anyone had any luck with this?

Comments (46)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    20 years ago

That's a version of the blender and buttermilk method. I haven't used the yogurt but it will probably do as well. The idea is to chop the moss up enough to cover a large area. The buttermilk (or yogurt) and water supply nutrients and moisture to get the moss started. Put chunks of the moss in some water in the blender and chop it up enough you can spread it with a big brush. Mix it with the rest of the water and the buttermilk. Use one cup shredded moss, one quart water and one quart buttermilk. Keep it moist until it starts growing. Works best in late spring or early summer.-Sandy

• waplummer
    20 years ago
  • junktojewels
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks a bunch. Do you have suggestions on where to get moss for this project and what conditions (moisture, light, soil, etc) are best for growing?

• sleeplessinftwayne
    20 years ago

I've been searching moss spores on Google and there are a number of sources there but unless you want to spend a huge amount on plants try looking around any wet, wooded areas around your area for natives. Another way is to germinate spores or do a trade. That will give you a good start and then you can go to the more expensive stuff when you have a little experience.-Sandy

• John_D
    20 years ago

Keep your garden shaded and evenly moist and mosses will arrive by themselves. Just give them time.

• ingrid_I_LUVmoss
    20 years ago

I am growing moss in the greenhouse at my work. I am using them for teaching undergraduates. At the present time I have seven different species, plus four species of liverworts, and two lycopods. I recently transplanted them into large flats. Does anyone have any tips on what would be a good fertilizer to give them an extra boost??

• NewPenny
    20 years ago

ingrid I'm not sure what you would firtalize liverworts with. It is my understanding that the reason they grow in planters is that most of the nutrients have been used up. One of the ways that is suggested to keep liverworts from growing in your yard or flowerpots is to keep them well fertalized. I just tried doing a google search on Liverworts. I got a lot of sites but don't have time to read threw all of them to see if any tell you how to grow them. Most tell how to get rid of it.

Take care, Penny

• ingrid_I_LUVmoss
    20 years ago

Interesting! I will label my liverworts not be fertilized and see what happens. Maybe even transplant them into a soil that as poor in nutrients?? I would assume they like acid soils because of their natural habitat. In another forum that I started on fertilizing moss, someone suggested I try using an azalea fertilizer but much more diluted for the moss. I wonder if that would be the same for liverworts?

• justmossy
    20 years ago

If you are collecting from nature, please be kind! Remove small patches in un-noticeable areas. Also avoid collecting from parks and protected areas. Get permission of land owner if collecting off private property. If only one person collects one or more patches, it gives others the idea and in a short time, the land looks like a bomb hit it!
    The best bet is to start your own small culture and harvest or transplant from that or purchase from an ethical garden centre or nursery who raises their own. Many species are endangered and need protection!
    The best way to choose mosses for your property is to assess what habitat you have for them. Most mosses need dark shade and high humidity for a good part of the year. There are a few mosses that don't mind dapple light or others that tolerate open light for a good part of the day and these can be used in more open areas of your yard. These are typically the ones people spend many $$ on chemicals to get them out of their lawn and yard.
    Use a local field guide to find out which ones prefer what substrate: ie rocks, gravel, trees etc. Some will grow only on one substrate, others will be more adaptable. If you are using the paint on mixture, use on substrate that is appropriate to that species of moss.
    You can learn alot by observing where and under what conditions they occur in nature. I sure have, being a nature interpreter! I am currently trying several methods of propagating several mosses.
    Good luck!

• justmossy
    20 years ago

I just tried the yogurt and moss mixture and now that I have applied it, am concerned about attracting cats and raccoons to the yard and them disturbing the moss before it gets established. I have covered the rocks with an open nursery tray weighted down with a rock hoping this might help keep at least cats out.
    Anyone had problems with night-time visitors eating the buttermilk or yogurt?

• popny
    20 years ago

Hi there! I have a shaded area under a tree where no grass grows,it is clay soil and would like to intrduce moss as an underfoot for the the stone structures I have placed there. .I would also like to "age" the stone structures which are made of some sort of 'volcanic rock' ;white rock, too white! any suggestions? I live in SO. Calif., little rainfall. I picture a soft,silent, meditation oasis! Need help soon! thanks Popny

• MorgaineWolfe
    19 years ago

I'm also trying to add moss to my tranquility garden. I just checked out www.mossacres.com. They seemed hideously expensive. I think I will try harvesting moss from my lawn and make "moss slurrys" for my shade garden.. Thank you for the help...

• durza2111
    19 years ago

Does anyone know of someplace near Fountain Hills arizona that sells mosses or their spores?

I really need help

• fireflyintexas
    19 years ago

I just bought some scotch moss at Lowe's (12/30/04)....I live in south central Texas, but it should be at all the Lowe's this time of year. They also had Irish Moss (greener) and the Scotch Moss is a more yellow-green.....about 3" x 3" patch in a pot and it was only a little over $2.00. Not bad when you consider you could use half of that to do the blender thing and expand your moss when you wanted.
    happy new year!
    fireflyintexas

• judithjane
    19 years ago

Scotch & Irish moss are not true mosses. True mosses are nonvascular plants. Each cell absorbs water & nutrients directly from the environment rather than a root to vein to cell transportation system used by vascular plants like scotch moss. The blender will kill your Scotch moss. Actually it's a terrible method for true moss. Although it should work in theory on a nonvascular plant, I've never had good results & prefer straight transplanting of moss for the best result.
    Below is the Oregon State University website for great basic information & ideas.

Happy Moss Gardening......jjane

Here is a link that might be useful: Living with Mosses

• dragonfly_dance
    19 years ago

My moss started actually as a "problem" in my lawn after a few applications of Miracid in a sprayer for azaleas, Now I want to let it take over and do away with the lawn. Should I give it a spring feeding of Miracid again, to give a spring boost? I dont know what kind it is I assume it is a native variety.

• mooseonwhidbey
    19 years ago

Seems that well, ..Would this blender and buttermilk method work with fern spores?

• Broken_Pots
    19 years ago

I have had a lot of success using rainwater and moss and forgetting buttermilk/yoghurt/beer (I've tried them all but with less favorable outcome than just water!) I use a pickle jar and one of those cheap hand blenders to 'stir' the mix - I think a blender can be too harsh, plus harder to unclog. Over time I have repeated the procedure and now have a fine layer of moss cover on ground rocks and trees.
    I am also convinced that moss are tough little plants - a neighbour tilled his lawn to remove the moss and grow better grass. It worked for 6 - 8 months but now has a moss garden that rivals Kyoto (much to my chagrin, even the grass is dying!) Maybe the best advice is: to grow moss try not growing it!
    Alan

• mirrodie
    18 years ago

I would like to re-open this topic please.

I am somewhata newbie. We just got a home and in our backyard, we have loads of shade forjm most of hte day, so we do have moss in the lawn.

Since we are looking to have some element of Japanese gardening, we want to keep the moss and in fact, encourage it to thrive in one area

--and effectively we want it to take over the grass, if that is possible, in that once area.

So besides the bountiful shade and keeping that area moist, shoud I spray miracid in that area? Would that make the grass die off and encourage the moss to thrive in that area?

Thanks.

• SuzanneVirginia
    18 years ago

If you want to get really serious, check out George Schenck's (I'm not certain of the spelling) book on Moss Gardening. It's definative, but lots of detail. I had much the same situation in my yard, and after years of trying to grow grass, have killed the grass and am letting the moss take over. I've read that fish emulsion is good for feeding moss. You also need to have about a ph of about 5.5. Mine was a bit higher, so I've spread ammonium sulfate several times. Then, it's just about keeping it moist and weed-free. Watching moss grow is sort of like watching paint dry.

• mirrodie
    18 years ago

thanks, just found it! will keep you abreast of developments!

Moss gardening : including lichens, liverworts, and other miniatures

by George Schenk.

Publisher Portland, OR : Timber Press, c1997.
    Description 261 p. : col. ill. ; 24 cm.

• valereee
    18 years ago

If you don't have any moss at all in an area, it probably isn't a good area for moss. If you have an area that has at least some moss, you can probably encourage it by removing other plants, giving buttermilk feedings (I put a quart of buttermilk and a gallon of water into my watering can and water the area lightly twice a day on any day we don't have rain), and keeping the area evenly moist. My understanding is that the buttermilk will not only encourage the moss but will discourage the grass.

I'm having some success in an area that had quite a bit of moss, some grass, and many bare patches. I think it will be better when I get a stone walkway in so that the foot traffic on the moss is limited. I'm also planning to encourage some native ferns I have growing nearby into the mossy area. I'm hoping both plants will thrive together, but I'm not sure about the buttermilk and the ferns.

• LouisWilliam
    18 years ago

Although some people may choose more natural methods, the fastest way to turn a mossy lawn into pure moss is to spray with Roundup or a generic equivalent. It isn't persistent, not too toxic, and when applied as directed, doesn't affect the moss. I don't use it around the Koi pond, but it is the only way I could keep a large moss area weed/grass free. Water and Miracid help keep the moss in good shape.

• brandenr
    18 years ago

help me //can someone tell me how to start moss on my roof/lawn

• buffburd
    18 years ago

I just started growing some moss up in a yogurt cup, it seems to be doing well. I put a little wad of soft toilet paper underneath it to continually wick up moisture, but not submerge it.

I found the nice green piece lying on the ground in my back yard after it had blown off my roof in a windy storm. Don't worry, this back porch roof is coming off in the spring, anyways, it has a few more nice bright green clumps of moss I plant on adding to the cultivation to make up some little moss/fern/rocks dishes that I think will look neat.

I've been looking around for a good dish, but I can't seem to find anything around. Anyone know a nice place to get earthy looking dishes that would hold a couple stones a little fern or two and a bunch of moss? And hopefully not too tall, so you could have it on your desk? I want to stay away from the orange terra cotta if I can, and preferably round and waterproof or nearly so.

Thanks!

• rinkull
    18 years ago

i have some moss that i got from a friend's yard and i was wondering how do i get it to grow in a terairyum or some such

• coffeemulch
    17 years ago

Re Post from: ingrid_I_LUVmoss - since you grow it in a greenhouse - can you answer exactly how to propogate and to fertilize or not?
    I have quite a bit of moss in my backyard, but there are large bare spots inbetween. I want to encourage the moss growth and spread. Thanks for any help.

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

If you want moss to fill in those blank spots you may have to take a closer look at what those blank spots are. Maybe the moss can't grow there: too much light, too dry would be the two most common conditions. Also the species of moss that you have may not like the conditions of those blank spots. So check those spots. There are other alternatives to moss that might give you the sense you are after such as a covering of gravel or bark or even adding shrubbery to those spots.

I do not recommend using fertilizer or pesticides on moss.
    While some may survive such treatment others definitely would be adversely impacted.

• coffeemulch
    17 years ago

the bare spots are due to abuse! Like areas they had stuff stacked on it, or over trampled from the move. It is coming back well in the areas it survived. I don't see any activity yet in the bare spots. I have several types of moss growing now. I was just hoping to get it back in shape and filled in.
    Can I fertilize the grass and not kill the moss that's growing randomly around trees and such? I'm new to Ohio. In Oklahoma moss wasn't present and the grass was burmuda, not this cold weather species.

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

On fertilizing I think it will depend on what kind of moss
    you have. To generalize there are two basic types:
    1 the type that tends to be upright and looks like little plant stems with leaves and that often will dry up brown only to recover during the wetter months.
    2. the type that tends to grow flat across the surface with fat looking leaves. these tend to be around areas that are wet to damp all the time.
    I believe type 1 would be more tolerant of fertilizers than type 2 but it really depends on a number of other factors.
    A. the strength of the fertilizer
    b. the frequency of application and of watering after application
    c. the weather at the time of application: sunny or clouded over
    d. soil conditions: sandy versus clayer etc.

If you apply the fertilizer at one-half or one-quarter strenght let soak for 5-10 minutes and then water heavy for
    20 minutes ON A CLOUDY DAY then I think you should be ok.
    To feed the grasses you could repeat this once a week or every other week during the growing period of the lawn.

Without knowing what kind of moss you have that is about the best advice I can offer. Test it out in a small area and see how the moss responds. Then if all is well then you can expand the area of fertilizing.

Cheers.

• coffeemulch
    17 years ago

I can show you some pictures. It is January in Ohio and there is supposed to be snow. we are much warmer than usual and the mosses are growing. This picture was taken today. I have more pictures, but can figure out how to upload more than one. This moss is the one that is covering most of the yard. it is growing taller here at the base of a tree. In other parts of the yard it grows shorter. Do you know what it is?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:616890}}

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Hello Coffeemulch,
    I am Jerry by the way.
    Thanks for the excellent pic. Most of the time I get to look at long distance shots and even a magnifying glass won't help!!!
    Your moss is the type 2. So I would guess that your yard is very shaded by lots of trees or several large trees. This kind of moss likes and needs shade and coolness plus the moisture though it can handle some drying.
    I do not know what genus this moss is. There are several genera that are very similar. What is required is a microscopic examination of it.
    Are you up to mailing some of it?
    I would definitely like to look at the living moss plus I think that I have an address of a college in your region that has an excellent bryology department but cannot think of it offhand. Will have to do some digging. But it you are game and would like to get a positive or a close approximation as to species you would need to send out a living sample. Let me know and I will hopefully have put the info in an easy to find file!!!????

With this type of moss I have grown something similar on the surface of a potted Goodyera species and it seemed to be more laying on top of the soil than growing into it. The soil had osmocote in it so I cannot say if the moss was surviving in contact with this kind of slow release fertilizer or not. Recently at another forum on orchids a grower is growing sphagnum in which he has some orchid seedlings and is fertilizing the moss and orchid regularly at a reduced dosage followed by watering. While I think sphagnum is probably less tender than the moss in your yard I think my recommendations above will provide you with a clue as to what you need try. Experiment on a small part and see what happens. Do take images of before and of after.
    And let us know!!!

• coffeemulch
    17 years ago

Hi Jerry. I'm sending a second picture. this moss is on the other half of the yard in big round patches - it is taller too. I think more sun gets in over there. Looking like at least a quarter acre of moss coming in. Cool! I can mail samples - It did start snowing today, but the moss should be fine. Do I just send it in ziplocs? How large of a sample? Thanks for your help. I can't wait to have a full healthy yard of mosses!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:616891}}

• terrestrial_man
    17 years ago

Hi Coffeemulch,
    the image is great. I can guess a polytrichum species but
    it is hard to tell. you would not believe just how many
    look similar!!! But you indicate that it seems to do well
    in a sunnier spot and is taller which leads me to believe
    that it may be polytrichum.
    How about an image of your yard?
    Am I right about the trees and shading??
    I can only envy you on having a yard of native mosses!!!
    The only native moss that occurs here is one that dries up
    in the summer and it is a very tiny moss prob. less than 3 mm tall-almost like a green scum on the earth!!! But it grows everywhere, including in the gutters of my van!!!
    I got some in some small food storage containers and am
    trying to grow it just to see if it will stay green if you
    water it regularly???

• terramoss
    16 years ago

Can anyone tell me how long it takes to grow moss??? Say dupicate a 6 inch square.
    I don't like getting it from the wild. Dark green turns yellow when drys out, thick about 1 inch tall. Grows on rotted logs, rocks and well drained acid soil in the woods. Seems to grow in heavy shade but greens up in the spring in full sunshine. I want this moss for terrariums. thanks

• matthager_comcast_net
    16 years ago

in the past few years, the moss growth in my yard has gone wild. For some reason, i still havent had enough. Frustrated with not being able to grow flowers on my property, i realized i should be growing what i really like anyway!

the things in my yard that help it grow:
    Pine- surrounded by pine trees which both provide shade, and acidify(is that a word) the soil.
    Laurel- another acid loving plant.
    New England soil- full of rocks. the taste of farming i've gotten here is a little amusing

i haven't started my own growing yet, so i'm no expert. but it seems to me that one reason moss grows where it does is because grasses don't grow in those places, no competition.

i'm going to experiment with growing on different surfaces when the snow clears. and i've appreciated all the tips i've seen thus far! thanks!

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Good luck with your moss culture.
    Definitely keep us informed on what you are doing and what the results are.
    At the moment I am leaning towards using a thin substrate of coir for growing mosses in plastic containers. Hope to have some images up during the next four weeks.
    I really think that you are looking at something that is really saying something loud and clear: a rocky substrate with a thin soil covering that the mosses grow on. Coupled with coolness and a moderate humidity, during at least part of the day, may be the reason for the great growth and the fact of the soil being acidic only indicates that the species found there grow well on such soil. This is one lesson I learned the hard way. Mosses that come from acidic soils do not like having their feet in soil that becomes alkaline (in pot culture this happens when verticulite breaks down!).
    I also hope that you are taking images too, Matt!

Here is an image of a moss that grows near Pudget Sound in Washington and is a common species, often regarded as a weed. It grows on acidic substrates. Have not tried to key it out yet.
    {{gwi:604490}}
    This tray sits at an angle to create a slope effect. There is quite a bit of sunlight that the tray is exposed to but I have not measured the foot candles nor the daylength which includes some direct sunlight on the mosses. To be ascertained later.

• mossinannie_gmail_com
    16 years ago

Hey Glad to hear of this interest in moss gardening. I established my own moss garden about 8 years ago. I spend many hours spent mossin' in the woods and creating unique moss garden features, networking with bryologists and other moss lovers, and developing project ideas of ways to promote an appreciation and awareness of moss... especially the advantages and joys of moss gardening... full-cycle GREEN rescue of bryophytes from high impact areas... Major focus is to create both public and private MOSS GARDENS. On Earth Day, a Moss Workshop is scheduled including gardening tips, bryophyte ID, and guided Moss walk.

I live in a location with the highest rainfall east of the Rockies, incredible bio-diversity, and over 450 types of bryophytes. My garden has at least 50 types... the fastest growers are almost invasive--Thuidium and Entodons...

Moss offers year-round green... tolerant of severe weather... even snow...
    Low maintenance... except for watering and removing leaves
    Consider Moss instead of Mulch
    Moss as Alternative to Grass in shady areas
    Green Moss Rescue... responsible land stewardship

I would be happy to answer any specific questions. Also, I have many high resolution photographs. I would like to post some images of sporophytes this winter... actually in my MOSS garden... a good sign of thriving moss!

Have a mossin' good day!

• garden_gate
    15 years ago

Could some one please suggest a moss or other low ground cover to use around the rim of a larger pond.. We are planning to redesign our rear property to include a extended japanese garden feel. The area is in full sun most of the time.. Photos to follow...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pond Shots

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

Looks like you have alot of work to do. I think that you need more shade for moss. The link below is an excellent example of a Japanese type garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le petit jardin oriental de Clovis

• chunjueh
    15 years ago

I wonder if I should start growing moss on the ground under a tree in early September, or should I wait until spring, and if so, when in spring? I have starter moss elsewhere in the yard, and on some concrete steps and some bricks. Can I use the moss from the steps and bricks (it appears to be the same as that growing in little patches on the ground)to cultivate moss on the ground? I have never done any work with moss before. Thank you for your suggestions.

• terrestrial_man
    15 years ago

I would wait until the days start cooling off before trying. Prob. in the 50s F.

• cynthis
    15 years ago

I started my moss garden because it was the only thing that wanted to grow on the north side of my yard. To my surprise, I've become a tad obsessed with it. At first, I painstakingly weeded the moss, taking out each grass individually. Then I started using my weedwacker.

The blender idea seems silly to me. If you have moss to put in the blender, put that moss on the ground and water it. If you must, pour the yogurt (beer, sugar water, whatever) on the moss. Much less distressing to the moss.

I lift moss from cracks in the side walk and put it in zip-lock bags if I have any. Nobody complains about my hurting the environment or destroying the delicate balance of nature, although they do look at me like I'm odd. Moss will live a long time in a zip lock bag if you keep it moist. When I get it home, I put the moss where ever I want it,on the ground, on a rock, skipping the foolish blender part.I try to put it in a place with similar light/moisture, etc., as where I found it. I'll pick up rocks with moss on them and carry them home. Most grass lovers hate moss and are happy, albeit confused, to see someone take it away. And once you start looking for it, its everywhere. So much lusher and greener than grass, too.

My favorite moss book (there aren't very many for the amateur gardener) is Robin Kimmerer's "Gathering Moss, a Natural and Cultural History of Mosses".

Gee its nice to see all these folk who are interested in mosses. I was feeling pretty alone there.

• mikeyvee
    14 years ago

I have been having problems growing moss(pillow moss) in my terrariums and indor atriums. I feel I have the moisture thing down pat, but am not sure about the lighting requirements. I have grow lights for my other plants, but am not sure if the moss is getting too much light, or not enough. Any suggestions? Thanx, MikeyVee

• terrestrial_man
    14 years ago

Mikeyvee,
    I think lighting is probably the most unknown factor in growing mosses in terraria or other containers.
    What you need to know is what the moss is. Pillow moss can apply to several different genera of mosses and these do not necessarily grow under the same environmental conditions.
    Another factor involved that is overlooked is adequate air circulation. Finding a balance of moisture and light for a sealed or almost sealed closed enviornment is hit and miss and while some species can do well many species seem to be quite at home with adequate air movement with good humidity. For example at this time on mosses I have growing outside in shade, foot candles at 515PM are 300, wind is at least 20 mph, humidity around 50%. During the hours of exposure to sun that ranges from around 800 AM to 300 PM footcandles will vary from 3500 to over 5000 per reading as there is intermittent shade from trees blowing in the wind. The problem with lighting in a closed environment is the accumulative impact of heat from the light.
    If you have a light meter it will be very helpful. At the moment all I can do is suggest possibilities. If you can set up lights that generate at least 5000 footcandles at the top of the terrarium and at least 500 foot candles at the ground level of the terrarium without raising the internal temperature of the terrarium and the temperature at the ground level does not rise above 55 F then I would think that you may have a good starting point to measure how the moss does.

• mosswitch
    14 years ago

I've been growing moss in my yard and woods for the last several years. It started with moss in the lawn on the north side of my house where grass wouldn't grow, so I started nurturing and transplanting the moss until I now have a nice thick moss lawn there. It has taken the better part of 10 years to cover completely. About 3 years ago I started transplanting it in patches along my woods paths, and the banks of my dry creek. It is filling in nicely and takes quite a bit of traffic, tho I do put down stepping stones to take the pressure off. I just transplant it; from the woods in spots, from a local nursery where it is growing everywhere and they just scrape it off and toss it; sidewalks, areas where they are going to bulldoze, etc. Many different kinds. It all needs good contact with bare soil, so I scrape the area clean and put the patches down , pressing it firmly. I've not lost very much, keeping it damp until it adheres firmly, then let nature take its course. I try to make sure it has the same kind of exposure where it was originally grow, i.e. sunny area moss in sunny places, shady or wet area moss correspondingly. I also pick up stones and small logs with moss for the woods. The only real problems I've had are squirrels and birds stealing it. They constantly pull up patches that I have to be vigilant in putting back down. If it is thin sheet moss sometimes I have to put a rock or two on it to keep it from being stolen by the birds for their nests. But I've noticed the more they scatter the bits, the more moss grows. Also, seems like the more moss I transplant, the more it spreads by spores. Some of it grows pretty fast and will cover a large area in no time, some is really slow. I've had a lot of fun with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Welcome to Chaos

Sponsored