Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bonsai gone awry...(pics)

Posted by greenman28 Nor Cal 7/8 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 10 at 23:44

Howdy!

I've been looking over Terrestrial Man's moss-growing journals and I'm quite impressed!

The following container started out as a Blackberry bonsai, which survived for a couple years....
but died sometime this Spring. However, the moss has never looked better, and so I've kept the
container watered all this time in order to cultivate the specimen. Full sun exposure most of the year.
Although the Blackberry was a failure, I consider the moss a great success.

These pics cover two year's worth of growth:

Photobucket

Feb 09

New Year's 08

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bonsai gone awry...(pics)

Josh, Thanks for sharing. The moss looks great. It is an epiphytic species and the nature of your substrate is really what has helped it grow so well.
How many hours of direct sunlight is it getting, on the average?

o
RE: Bonsai gone awry...(pics)

Hey, T-man!
My pleasure! Your journals inspired me and reminded me of this container....which isn't such a loss after all.

As for sun...I keep this on an East-South-East deck, with oaks overhead. During the Winter, when the oaks are
bare, there's quite a bit of sun....but the solar values are lower, of course. I'd guess at least 4 hours of direct sun,
with mosaic sun throughout the rest of the day.

You're right...the substrate is key. In this container I used a mix of small river gravel,
bark, a sprinkling of sand on top, and a few stones, all situated around that decomposing bit of Alder wood.

I hope it spills over the edges of the container.

Josh

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here