Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss lawn - full sun area

Posted by meditating SC (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 0:12

I live in SC where we have hot, humid summers and increased periods of drought over the years. I just bought a new home where most of my lawn is shaded and already has a good deal of moss.

For environmental reasons, I want to turn my lawn into all moss, but understand moss won't grow in the areas of direct sun. I have read that irish moss will, but it isn't really a moss. I am also not wanting to have to water the lawn, which irish moss would require.

Any suggestions on a moss I can put in the full sun or does that just not exist?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss lawn - full sun area

Are you in the coastal zone or on the piedmont?
If you want moss to grow in the exposed areas you should water or dampen the area daily if the soil conditions are comparable. If the moss moves onto the exposed area and grows well I would keep up the daily misting into early summer. You can stop misting in summer and the moss will probably dry back. Resume watering in fall and see if it recovers.
Using irish moss would only result in the regular moss becoming grown over by the nonmoss plant.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here