Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spanish moss indoors?

Posted by Panspipes zone 5-ish (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 11, 05 at 1:58

A friend just brought me a chunk of spanish moss from Florida. I'm in Michigan. Will it grow inside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spanish moss indoors?

• Posted by Komi z7/8 DC (My Page) on
    Sun, Dec 11, 05 at 11:28

Hi, spanish moss is a bromeliad - Tillandsia usneoides. It requires high humidity and good light. There's lots of information on the web if you Google - one example linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: culture tips

o

Well who'da thought? Thanks.

o

You can keep it ouside as long as it doesn't go below 5 degrees. If it does just bring it inside to garage that stays
in the forties or fifties consistently. A basement will work to. After the temps. moderate to above 5 degrees it is safe to set it back outside. You may need to mist it if you keep it outside of you don't live near a body of water. Freezing rain will kill spanish moss, so bring it in until the freezing
rain had passed. This also means not misting when temps are at or below freezing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here