Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dying indoor ferns.... how to save if possible

Posted by vermontlove NY (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 28, 12 at 7:42

I received two unknown ferns from a friend, just basically ripped out of her fern tub. They were doing ok til I put them in the bathroom, where I thought they would enjoy the constant moisture from the daily shower. However, they dried right up and they may be dead. I watered them faithfully but I would like to know if ferns have good roots enough that they might spring back. Perhaps they were just too shocked at the transplant, but they seemed to do ok for a week or so, then quickly went downhill. One, the one with bigger leaves, dropped many of its leaves. Has anyone experienced this and had a fern come back to life? How did you do it? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dying indoor ferns.... how to save if possible

Maybe they have too much moisture? What kind of mix where they in? Ferns can be very fussy. When they go downhill, they probably won't come back. Where they outdoor plants to begin with? What type of ferns, and post a photo if you want.

o
RE: dying indoor ferns.... how to save if possible

This is an old post, but I can grow ferns outdoors, but indoors, it doesn't fail, they dry up or get fungus gnats. I can't get the happy medium. They seem to need moist air and heat/ AC takes that out. I can't speak for your home, but mine isn't fern friendly obviously.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here