Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
msmsms_gw

prep potted fern for winter outside?

msmsms
18 years ago

i just picked up some hanging ferns set out on the curb by a neighbor. they are about half brown, but the green half is healthy and includes strong new growth. i have not had ferns before; afraid i'd kill them

i would like to save them for spring, preferrably not bringing them inside. what's the best way to handle them for a cold winter ? (southern tennessee)

should i set the pots into the ground? clip back the fronds? water or let dry?

i am open to rigging up a small "greenhouse" structure behind the garage, in the sun, if it's possible to use thick clear plastic sheeting effectively. thanks in advance!

Comments (3)

• karinl
    18 years ago

You would need to know whether they are hardy ferns or not. If they have been grown indoors they may not survive a winter outdoors. If you can post a picture of them for ID or identify them yourself using a book or the internet, then you are pretty close to answering your question.

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

Likely they are boston ferns which are not hardy when left outside in your area and that is why your neighbor trashed them. They could be half brown because he/she left them out when the weather went below 35 degrees. They would have to be overwintered in a garage at least.

• taxgirl
    17 years ago

Someone told me to cut my Boston Ferns back and remove from pot and plant in my garden watering well and covering with a heavy layer of leaves. Has anyone ever tried this? Thanks for you help.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus