Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newbie, need insight into ferns

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 27, 07 at 14:13

I am looking to incorporate ferns into my landscaping in the spring. I have a few questions. Are there ferns I can start from spores indoors during the winter or should I just buy some in the Spring? What ferns will do well in a non-sandy clay and dirt soil? I've seen some really attractive lilac coloured ferns in Plant Delights cataloge that say they are zone 6 (Is that true). I am looking for ferns that will do well in full sun and ones that will do well with virtually no direct sun (my house faces north and I have a giant maple tree so the front landscaping gets little to no direct sun. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

thanx,
Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie, need insight into ferns

Andy,
Why don't you begin with finding out what kind of native ferns you have in your area. And then research their habitat of occurrence to see just what ones would be good for your locations.
Below is a link that lists the ferns that you might enjoy.

For full sun the Osmunda might be good but require an acidic and boggy situation-something that is easily accomplished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing of Michigan plants used as roadside plants

o

Growing ferns from spores is a rather lengthy process, unlike seed plants. Check the process outlined on the link below.
If you want to plant them in the garden next spring, I would suggest checking your local box stores or you may want to place an order online. There are several nurseries that offer a wide selection of hardy ferns, such as Bigdipperfarm.com, that offers about 125 selections, most of which would be hardy for you. Fancyfronds.com, owned by Judith Jones and Foliagegardens.com owned by Sue Olsen, both recognized experts in their field.
I have purchased plants from Big Dipper Farm and Fancy Fronds and have been well satisfied with their quality and prices. I have not had experience with the nursery you mentioned, their plant prices/S&H costs have always sent me searching for alternative sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Ferns from spores

o

Thank you both for the information. I will start reading up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here