Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
honey mushrooms? :(

Posted by KrakenQueen 8b, Savannah GA (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 2, 13 at 14:22

These were popping up in several areas of the back yard, more specifically at the base of our holly which, out of three beautiful trunks when we bought the house, 2 were already on their way out. The first was dead dry in the center and easy to cut. The bark had peeled off and cracked all the way around to about 5' up. About two months ago we had to cut off the second gorgeous trunk as it went the same way as the first.

I'm worried this is caused by the honey mushrooms. Not only was the holly looking drab when we bought the place, but we also had three already dead or dying trees that we took out. Same thing, cracked dry trunks with peeling bark.

If it's the mushroom, which I highly suspect, is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Anything I can so to save the last holly trunk? Is it too late?

(Note: at the moment we are tight on $$, so an arborist is out.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: honey mushrooms? :(

Call to see if there is someone with Chatham County extension sercice who will take a look at your pictures. You might also try the Savannah Tree foundation or the Urban Forester with the City.

I also suspect that these are 'honey mushrooms '. But you need to understand that those mushrooms are not the actual problem but merely the fruiting body of the real problem which is a parasitic root rot Armillaria fungus often called shoe string root rot.

Getting rid of the mushrooms will do absolutely nothing to cure the disease nor to prevent it spreading. Infected trees and woody shrubs can be kept alive for a time but death is inevitable. Can we see pictures of the whole plant, so that I can look af the condition of the overall plant?

There are no recommended chemicals for treatment of Armillaria. Even if you were to remove every mushroom, the actual systemic fungal body will remain in the tree and soil.

o

Call to see if there is someone with Chatham County extension sercice who will take a look at your pictures. You might also try the Savannah Tree foundation or the Urban Forester with the City.

I also suspect that these are 'honey mushrooms '. But you need to understand that those mushrooms are not the actual problem but merely the fruiting body of the real problem which is a parasitic root rot Armillaria fungus often called shoe string root rot.

Getting rid of the mushrooms will do absolutely nothing to cure the disease nor to prevent it spreading. Infected trees and woody shrubs can be kept alive for a time but death is inevitable. Can we see pictures of the whole plant, so that I can look af the condition of the overall plant?

There are no recommended chemicals for treatment of Armillaria. Even if you were to remove every mushroom, the actual systemic fungal body will remain in the tree and soil.

o

I'll give them a call this week.

Here are some photos of the holly.
The base of the tree is getting mushy spots :(

o

The holly tree is near our compost bins and smack dab in the middle of our planned chicken run.

o

The mushy spots.

o

The base where new growth showed up.

o

Lastly, the holly canopy.

o

I'll have to call after the holidays, they're out till the 4th.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here