Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Necessary is Sterilization?

Posted by Edymnion z7 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 15:36

Hello all,

I've got some bio-luminescent mushrooms that I ordered that are growing nicely. No fruiting bodies yet, but plenty of nice white glowing sheets spreading out over my substrate.

Soon (hopefully) I will get actual mushrooms, and with mushrooms, spores.

I'm looking at collecting the spores and trying to grow more that way, so I've been reading up on the subject. Pretty much everywhere I've found talks about sterilizing your vermiculite and using a spore syringe that you sterilize in an open flame, etc etc etc.

My question is, how necessary is all of that, really? I mean, mother nature does this out in the woods in the dark, it seems rather far fetched that full clean room conditions would be required for species propagation.

I could understand such precautions if I were going to grow edible mushrooms, as you never know when a spore of something poisonous might mix in from the general air, or not knowing what all could end up growing from a mix specially designed to promote fungal growth.

But for a decorative mushroom, is it really necessary to go through all these hoops, or can I just collect spores, mix with rainwater, and pour onto a new piece of wood and call it done (with decent success rates)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Necessary is Sterilization?

Sure,...see how it goes and go from there.

I used to start in petry dish with agar, [similar to link below.] Sterilized everything first in pressure cooker,..dish, tools etc. Then agar is filled into dishes covered and cooled. A small room like a bathroom super clean and no airflow worked fairly good. I wrapped up a bunch of petry dishes in towels or cloth and put them in a drawer which never needed opening for about 10 day's or so until spores are grown all over.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Mushroom Spores in a Petri Dish Read more: How to Grow Mushroom Spores in a Petri Dish : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_12139342_grow-mushroom-spores-petri-dish.html#ixzz2I17p1GRU

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here