Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonsai_moss

potted moss - looking for tight compact hardy moss that wont die

bonsai_moss
16 years ago

For any of the "moss experts" out there that have studied Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams.....I have a question.

POTTED MOSS THAT WILL NOT DIE:

What is the hardiest miniature bonsai type moss that is native to Massachusetts?

1) What species of moss is the MOST compact, tightest, miniature, close-knit type moss that is the MOST tolerant and will survive with potted coniferious bonsai trees year round in zone 5b (Massachusetts)?

I know that I can simply replace my miniature compact moss every year when it eventualy and permanantly dies off.....but I want a PERMANANT tight compact moss that wont die that will grow along with my potted bonsai trees year after year.......

..........and yes, I ALWAYS duplicate the growing conditions the moss was harvested from..... I even avoid tap water because of the chlorine, I keep any fertilizer away from moss, I use the same identical soil that I harvested the moss from....same growing conditions, you name it.

WHAT am I looking for:

I am looking for a very tight miniature moss that grows on either rocks or on soil (not the kind that grows on the sides of trees, tree barks or stumps). I do not have a humid greenhouse and I grow all my native plants outside.........

I want to grow the hardiest miniature bonsai type moss that is native to Massachusetts.

I've also tried nearby compact moss found at 2,000 foot alpine level here in Massachusetts, but it never seems to survive my 200 foot above sea-level location - no matter how much I try to duplicate it's native conditions.....I even take dormancy/heat/cold/shade/moisture/you name it and I take it into consideration.

What is the hardiest miniature bonsai type moss that is native to Massachusetts?

Thank you so much for any help from anyone out there..

Comments (4)

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

How about moss native to Utah?
    You could experiment!
    As far as growing native mosses from Massachusetts
    for bonsai purposes I would think that it would be easier for you just to go to a local nursery and check out all the potted plants for sale to see if you can find one with moss growing well in it. Buy that potted plant for the moss!
    Another observation: replicating the habitat of a moss is impossible. All there is is generalized info at best and sometimes the moss will do better in cultivation being grown entirely in a different fashion but with some semblence to generalized conditions of moisture, humidity, coolness, and light exposure. The tendency for most persons in trying moss in containers is in overwatering them and growing on a wetter substrate than they would want. Hope to provide more insight on this observation in the course of time.

But if you are interested in trying a very nice moss that seems to handle dryness quite well and yet presents a nice green low carpet for bonsai use I will be glad to send you a piece of a moss from Utah. Email me.

• bonsai_moss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello terrestrial_man ........... THANK YOU for your reply to my "potted moss" - as I'm looking for tight compact hardy moss and will live as overyears as I am looking for compact moss thst wont die as it was every summer.

"Potted moss - I need and am looking for looking for tight compact hardy moss that wont die.......and is a Brilliant green under the winter snow. I'll seach ASk.com, google, DogPile, wikipedia on "Native Moss of Utah" as well as eBay that might have come wild colected Utah moss up for auction....

I found a thread in this forum from....."moss/some green & lots brown/alive or dead" - and the thread was originally started on July 17, 2007.

The link dated July 1tthe,2005:

2007http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/crypto/msg0716235718221.html?\hey

....as they mentioned about a fungus infection caused from too much water during hot summer over 90°F dormant moss...........and the fungus will permanantly kill moss turning it brown .........the only remedy it to throw out brown moss as it will spread.

........and the main culprit of this killer??? Misting/watering the moss during it's dormany period in the hot summer heat (90 degrees F and above) ....and watering moss in 90 degree °F that is SUSEPTABLE to hot humid fungus.

Now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever let my collected wild native moss go totally dry during the REALLY hot summer when moss is in its peaked dormancy...and I always felt bad during a dry heatwave here and there, and have misted/watered my potted moss.

My FAVORITE type of miniature "tight-knit" compact native bonsai clump moss here in Massachusetts that is the type that grows between the cracks of rocks and stone walls.....

.....and the soil that I favore that I find wild "bonsai-type brtween rocks" compact moss grows in tight clustered in between the cracks on neglected roof tops and rocks/stone walls is the dirt is 'pitch black' soil (with no mulch, no wood chips) dark rich compost like dirt that of a .....out in the summer. Maybe rock crevises keeps the

• bonsai_moss
    Original Author
    16 years ago

PLEASE NOTE:

If my spelling/wording/typing above in my "POTTED MOSS" entry reads weird, it is because my cat knocked over half a bottle of Coca Cola ALL OVER my keyboard.....and no, it wasn't Rum and Coke or any New Year's Eve "silly sauce". What a way to start a new year... At least I was able to clean it a bit and unstick the letter keys!!

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

I got some of the Utah moss that I think will work for you since it probably gets as cold there as it does in your area. Under my cultivation it stays green year round and can handle lots of light. Letting it dry some will not harm it.
    If you want to try some email me and I can even email an image I have of it. Have not had time to include it and another species from Utah in my moss journals yet.
    The moss you are talking about that grows between cracks is a Brynum species and these generally need that dry period in summer to do well. My local species has proven to be a bear to cultivate even though it grows on my van that sits on the north side of my house!!!

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider