Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where to buy moss spores and material?

Posted by ozarkdreams (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 21, 09 at 17:06

I've looked through pages of google with no luck, where can I find live plants or spores? I found one genus I was looking for, but otherwise I'm having trouble discovering any vendors with a large selection of mosses, particularly rare ones.

I'd love to grow more Lycopodium or Dawsonia species for example..

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where to buy moss spores and material?

There are no vendors with large selections of moss species to grow. Your best bet is to inventory everything you can find on the net. Also keep in mind that you can find mosses in nursery grown pots of regular flowering plants locally in some cases.
You may want to try to collect interested species on your own if they occur near you. Also you should check eBay as some mosses are offered off and on there.
Same with Lycopodium. Very few species can be found on the net for sale. eBay is your best bet with these.
Dawsonia! Far as I know it is not grown in this country even in any university greenhouse but ??? However, I have contacted a New Zealander to see if they can provide spores as spores can be sent international with no problem unless the species is CITES restricted on any plant material of the species. Will post or contact if I get a positive response.

o

Hi
Do you want temperate or tropical,terrestrial or epiphytic?? You can get specimen size lycopodium squarrosum from Gardinos.. If you can wade through the mess maybe Glass house works?? lol You could ask "world plants" to do a search for you. They found a couple of very rare plants for me. gary

o

thanks for the help! i'll be checking back periodically, or pm me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here