Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soft Shield Fern ,'Plomosum Densum'

Posted by mshostas 5/6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 23, 06 at 21:31

HI all;
I am in search of a variety of 'Polystichum setiferum' ( soft shield fern / Alaska fern ) from the UK.or Germany, 'Plumosum Densum '. It is a very beautiful fern. I can't find it in the US, if any one knows thanks.
Mshostas

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soft Shield Fern ,'Plomosum Densum'

You would think that a variety so readily available in Europe, would be offered by some US nurseries. I haven't seen it listed anywhere lately.
Might try Judith Jones at: judith@fancyfronds.com and Sue Olsen at: foliageg@juno.com (Foliage Gardens) for a possible source. Sue is also founder of the Hardy Fern Foundation, hff@hardyferns.org, which may be helpful in locating a source. The American Fern Society, amerfernsoc.org, has a forum where you can post questions (registration required).I'm sure some member(s) would know of a US source.
Good luck!
Rb

o
RE: Soft Shield Fern ,'Plumosum Densum'

Thanks Rb, good information.
mshostas

o
RE: Soft Shield Fern ,'Plumosum densum'

Hi, I'm propagating Polystichum Setiferum (Plumosum densum) from bulbils (i.e. live plantlets that develop on the stems) with little difficulty. The reason is simply that we are in the process of moving house and are determined to take this lovelist of ferns with us, the original 20-year plant being too established to move now. I'll happily send you one, but I'm not sure if they can be legally imported at your end? What about some spores which you can develop in self-seal bags? Incidentally, it doesn't seem to be too easy to buy here either. Plenty of other Polystichums about, but not this one. The ref page doesn't say it's of a Plum.dens. but it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Useful reference page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here