Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hapu'u - Hawaiian Fern Tree - Cibotium menziesii

Posted by solo_voyager (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 22:55

I have recently moved from Alaska to Hawaii.
I now have a new toy, a tropical climate, partially landscaped, but let run wild one acre lot.
So, at various locations in my yard, I have a number of Hapu'u fern trees. One of them, the largest [~4-1/2' tall], is threatening to become an avenue of access to my roof by various critters. I would like to transplant it to another location setting it back as little as possible.
I've been told that I can just cut it off and stick it in the ground where ever I want it.
I find it hard to believe that that is the best way to accomplish the transplanting of one of these fern trees.
I'm open to knowledgeable suggestions.

This post was edited by solo_voyager on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 22:57

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hapu'u - Hawaiian Fern Tree - Cibotium menziesii

Hi
have no experiience with the hawaiian species but have moved Australian and Brazilian types with ease. I dig up as much root as possible much like you'd move any plant.
They really don't have a tap root so are easy to dig up at least the types I have. have never tried the method you describe . gary

o
RE: Hapu'u - Hawaiian Fern Tree - Cibotium menziesii

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 21, 13 at 8:28

I also know nothing (sorry), but would agree with Gary. I also understand that the tree fern should be able to regenerate roots from that trunk, so that's what the guy that told you was going at. I'm sure it's more traumatic than the traditional method, but given that tree ferns probably grow like weeds for you now....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here