Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Horribly failed attempt at growing moss...what happened??

Posted by iluvbotany4life (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 23:21

I tried to start some moss growing by mixing the recommended ingredients of moss, buttermilk, sugar, and corn syrup in the blender. Well, the mixture turned out really runny and I wanted it to be more of a paste, so I added some flour to thicken it. Then I spread it over some dirt in a pot and covered that with saran wrap. I left it alone for about 2 weeks, and when I went back to check it, something was definetly growing, but it wasn't moss. A huge amount of white mold grew and covered the entire paste that I had applied to the dirt. There was also some patches of blue/green mold. I was astonished at how much mold grew in so little time. What did I do wrong and what caused all the mold?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Horribly failed attempt at growing moss...what happened??

Wow, that's quite a witch's brew you made there! The food ingredients are really only (possibly) helpful outdoors, with lots of fresh air and an existing natural fungus & bacteria balance. To start indoor moss, or in any closed container, I just chop it up and spread it out over a thin layer of ground-up peat or sphagnum moss, and keep it moist and bright. I've also used cheesecloth, brown paper, and bark chips. A very mild spritz of fertilizer helps, after you see new growth. No people food needed.

Vincent

o
RE: Horribly failed attempt at growing moss...what happened??

I agree with dirtmonkey. Buttermilk is great for outside growth only but the rest is not needed. If one were growing moss outside; mix chopped moss with clay from the ground along with a little ground-up peat. Add water just enough to make it useable. Place this mixture over a rock or area and cover with cheese cloth. Tie in place with bonsai wire or cotton string. Lightly mist daily and insure it stays moist. Place in a semi shaded area and moss should sprout. There are many ways to grow moss. Air flow is important. Moss needs the air. The bark chip idea is also a great one. I use composted finely chopped pine bark. I then ground it after it is composted. Leaf mold is also great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here