Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mctabish_gw

Recommendations of ferns and mosses to landscape

mctabish
16 years ago

I live in the San Francisco bay area. My back yard is approx 50 feet x 100 feet. I have a large patio and have about 6' edge around the patio and then I have seveal hills that reach aross the yard )about 30' x 50'

I want to basically fill this area with ferns and mosses.

I do not know anything about either, but I like the looks of them. I am also very lazy!

There is not much shade...

What would be some good suggestions?

Thanks

Bruce

Comments (3)

• mosspatrick1
    16 years ago

Although there are some more light tolernt ferns out there, check with your local nursery, mosses need shade and humidity, lots of both. Funny thing is, is that once you go through the work of establishing a fern/moss area then the work afterwards is minimal at best. Trees, rocks, a water feature, all help to satisfy some of each need. Check a website called entwood nursery for some cool info and pointers

• terrestrial_man
    16 years ago

Bruce,
    I think that you have a lot of work to do. If you really are serious about growing moss and ferns then you will need to engage the help of a landscaping service (I can recommend one in your area-if you wish) and you will have to modify the environment that you want to have mosses and ferns growing in. I mean major modification!

You will need to add small trees and/or structures to create mini-environments that you can exploit to grow the different kinds of ferns or mosses that you may be interested in growing.

The easiest approach to go with just what you have would be to create an extensive bog area as sphagnum moss that grows in a bog will do well in full sun in your area plus if you add carnivorous type plants these too will enjoy the full sun.

Or you can develop a combo plan with a bog area, a water feature, small trees, structures, etc. For a fantastic
    garden plan that was done and is probably still in process by a young couple in Quebec check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Le Petit Jardin Oriental de Clovis

• coldbeer
    16 years ago

you can cheat on the moss by using a moss lookalike >praitiasoleirolia

Sponsored