Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need suggestions for early summer blooms

Posted by wildearth 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 6, 11 at 7:14

hey folks!

I dabbled in cut flower sales last year and found I was missing anything to sell between the dutch iris and late june (i had some monarda, wild flowers, and lavender i think.) I'm going to try again this year.

I sure could use a few suggetions for early summer blooms. I was thinking of ordering a flat of snaps and growing them in my unheated hoop house in April. Also, i was considering buying flats of larkspur and dianthus--would they bloom in time?

thanks for your help and i hope everyone is having fun with the new catalogs!

peace,

bill

zone 4b/5a
upstate ny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need suggestions for early summer blooms

Try some Allium bulbs, tho they needed to be planted in the Fall.....

o

I hope you're still checking back for replies to your question. While I am no longer a flower farmer, here are some suggestions:

Snaps in your greenhouse as you mentioned.

Ranuculus can be planted in your greenhouse now.

Lilies planted in bulb crates.

Calla lilies planted in crates.

You can also plant precooled tulips and daffodil bulbs in crates.

Campanula ordered in as plugs.

You could also try the dianthus and larkspur as mentioned.

Plant some of the border glad bulbs. They bloom earlier.
Customers will purchase these in bunches. Also, acidanthera.

Lisianthus ordered in as plugs and grown in the greenhouse.

Karma dahlias from plugs, planted in the greenhouse in April, will bloom in June.

Yarrow plants will bloom in late May/early June with the added benefit they spread.....meaning more plants.

Wishing you a great growing season.

o

Thanks for the suggestions!

o

Hey Trish, it's great to see a post from you. I hope retired, or semi-retired, life is agreeing with you and you are feeling strong.

TM

o

@ Thinman, I've been trying, without ANY success to find a source for miniature flowered gladioli. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

o

Thinman: There will always be a cutting garden in my life!

Grannymarsh: Fred Nagel & Sons, 269-279-2379, email nagels@myrural.com. They have a nice catalog. They refer to the miniature glads as border glads. Available in bulk. Michigan grown! Netherland Bulb also has them. Acidanthera is also nice. Faint sweet smell. Market customers love this.

o

Grannymarsh - K. Van Bourgondien has something called Glamini Gladiolus that are said to be 24 - 25 " tall at $40 per 100 or $298 per 1000 for 10-12 cm corms. On the web they are www.kvbwholesale.com. I saw the listing in their catalog, but haven't tried them.

TM

o

@thinman, thanks so much !! Fred Nagel & Sons has a website, and it looks like they have exactly what I need.
marsh

Here is a link that might be useful: Noweta

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here