Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fundybayfarm

Can you remember the post about....

Fundybayfarm
18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to search for the post where lots of people posted a picture of their flower carts, or boothes at the market. I'm in the process of designing one that is light weight and portable, and doesn't take up too much space in my mini van for transport. I know that one post had lots of pictures. Or if anyone knows of a good site or sites that show carts, I would be most grateful. I have an opportunity to set up in our town, and am in the process of appying for a vendors license, but need a design to present with my application. Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheryl

Comments (13)

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Cheryl,

LizaLily's stand is under a post called "Flower Cart".

My "vase stand is below. Let me know if you'd like other pictures...it does fold flat, but is wide - a bit over four feet.

{{gwi:617925}}

I don't have my booth pictures anylonger on photobucket for some reason, so will need to reload them and then add to this post. I need to do that at home!

Hope this helps,
    Wendy

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

OK -- I hit send too quickly...I found one of my "bucket rack" from two seasons ago...maybe this will help too! This stand is awesome, it will not tip over and holds up to 40 bouquets.

{{gwi:617927}}

Sorry about two messages!
    Wendy

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

Last year I modified Wendy's stand and it works well for me. We modifyed it to make it lighter weight for moving. How we did it was to just use a post with the braces hinged so they swing out to support the shelves and the lower ones give it a steady base. THey are both hinged to the central post. THe shelves are simply cut to fit around the post and rest on the hinged supports. We transport them completely removed. I cut my stand's holes to fit my plastic cups and have 13 holes, 7 on the bottom and 6 on the second shelf. On the top shelf I have a cashbox bolted to it, and have a wire cable that secures the shelf to the stand by pushing it all the way through a hole in the post and securing it with a padlock. On the top shelf I also have a metal watering pot with one of the best bouquets displayed in it (And a coupple of heavy rocks to keep it from being blown away!), and I have a miniature watering can with my business cards. I usually leave the stand up all week and only take the top shelf home with the cashbox. SO far no one has bothered it, and the only time I had my cashbox and shelf ripped off was one night when I was away and my helper forgot to pick up the shelf.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

With all due respect to the individuals who have
    posted, I really think you want to be careful
    about using a set-up that looks too modern.
    In a small, quaint, tourist town I'd like to
    see bouquets displayed in a more European style
    market cart. This is the look I like:

{{gwi:617929}}

An important item left out of your post was: Is the
    stand/cart going to be on a sidewalk in town all the
    time during the summer months? Or, will you be
    required to set up and dismantle on a daily basis?
    This is important. If you have to dismantle alot,
    a "mock European" look might work. That would be a
    set-up minus the wheels; but, still have a box looking
    top (painted green), and set on collapsible legs with
    an umbrella for shade, and thus giving the illusion of
    a market cart. The box, of course would have to fit in
    your vehicle; but, you would also be able to transport
    your bouquets in it. Just use your imagination!!!

Trish

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Trish,
    THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!My husband and I have been drawing some carts, and the idea of wheels does appeal to both of us, and is the look I want. I just filled out my application today, haven't turned it in yet, but at the moment I'm not sure if they'll let me set up where I'd like to. I have attatched a letter to the application explaining why I want to be in a certain spot. This town is a really quaint little place. The town is along a harbor, with a long warf where all the fishing and scallop boats come in. The town has a boardwalk along the water, and the place I want to be is at the entrance to the boardwalk, which is in-between 2 buildings (but plenty of space) where there would be shelter from the wind, and partial shade, and it's in the middle of town. I'm not sure if they'll let me set up there, and also not sure if I can leave the cart. That would obviously be the easiest, but then I'd worry about vandals. (It doesn't happen often, but does happen) So, if I need to break it down, and take it home, I have to have this easy to do by myself, but the idea of transporting the buckets in the box is a good one. The picture you posted would be just the type of cart that would look great in the town. Thanks so much for the post. Now to just figure out what to make this out of, and where to find the canvas awning like the one shown, and wheels like those. I have some huntiing to do.
    Cheryl

• susanmc5
    18 years ago

Fundybayfarm: A site you might find useful is: www.merlimfgco.com. They have two photos of a basic flower cart that I fell in love with and had made by a local welder/blacksmith. I absolutely love it. I sell at my roadside and it makes it a breeze to just walk everything down to the road without having to lug all my vases, flowers and table as I used to. I had the wheels made larger, which is the only difference from the photo. I don't have an awning over it as I use a garden umbrella at the moment. The way the sun moves around during the day, I didn't think the awning would always provide adequate shade although it does look charming. I hope you can find a way to get one of your own. SusanM

• Fundybayfarm
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Susan,
    Thanks for that site, it has some really nice carts and wagons.
    Cheryl

• katiepoo
    18 years ago

Hey Cheryl,

I just found these plans for a flower cart!!
    I am thinking about building one for my town/farmers market, too. I think I would use bike tires for mine though.

Good Luck,

Katiepoo

Here is a link that might be useful: canadian flower cart plans

• bluestarrgallery
    18 years ago

Wendy,

Where did you get your vase stand or did you make it yourself? I can't tell by the picture what type of material the cart is made of - is it wood? Do you have a set of plans for it?

I would like to use a similar cart for under the eaves of my garden shed to display cut flowers. thanks.

Linda

• Patty_WI
    18 years ago

http://www.runnerduck.com/flower_cart.htm has a nice looking cart and directions on how to make it.

Wendy, I never got around to making your bucket stand last year. Could you give me the specifics? How tall, how wide and how are the buckets secured?

Patty

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Linda/Patty -
    The vase stand is wood, and I had a local furniture maker build it. It folds almost flat and does need a weight anchored to the back of it on windy days!

The bucket rack was also made here locally by a neighbor. I had the 10" buckets (a florist at a local grocery store gives them to me - they through them away!), so, he made the rack to fit the buckets. This to was made "not to blow over" (it is very windy here) and fold as flat as we could get it. It's about 4' wide and not quite 5' tall.

I don't have a cart - not sure how I'd get it in my van!

I think as Trish mentioned, your overall look is important and depends a lot on where you are. At our market, I have to have sturdy displays. I try to make the booth show off the flowers, not be too cluttered (i.e. give customers "butt room" or they leave!), and have it look somewhat consistent week to week. A 10' x 10' booth doesn't give you lots of room, so tables aren't the best option in all scenarios. I have thought about taking planks of wood and cutting holes the size of french buckets and stairstepping them to get more flowers in the booth (kind of like Michaels or Jo-Ann's do, but, just haven't yet!

Hope this helps.
    Wendy

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Wendy,
    Do you mean like this? We have three levels. Our set-up does change alot during the season; however, we always make use of old boxes and crates. We do have painted French buckets not pictured in this photo. The downside is that the customers always want to buy them. LizaLily's "to-go-cup" idea was used for these bouquets which were made by our grandchildren, who spend a great deal of time working on the farm and at at the markets during the summer.

Trish

{{gwi:617931}}

• bluestarrgallery
    18 years ago

Wendy,

Thank you. It is almost too pretty to use - the furniture maker did a good job.

I will have to check with some of the local groceries and such for some free stuff - sure could use some - since everything is so expensive when you are starting from scratch.

We have lots of wind here too - and lots of summer heat - I am also trying to think of a free standing flower display with an awning or umbrella cover too.

thanks.

Linda

Sponsored