Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth47_romania

question about cut flowers for market

beth47-romania
16 years ago

We are a small Christian charity based in North-eastern Romania - we try to help the poor with projects like market gardens, etc. We have been very successful with vegetables, but last year we tried to branch out into the cut-flower market - with mixed results. We got some very beautiful flowers, but a lot more burnt up in the greenhouse because of heat and we lost more in transport. Our families transport on foot, bicycle or horse and cart (mostly) and so transporting flowers is an issue. Can anyone give us some ideas as to which flowers will grow well in our climate (very similar to Northeastern Washington/Northern Idaho (can get down to -10C in winter and +30C in the summer)) and be hardy enough to handle being transported in the way described and still be nice enough to sell?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your prompt response. I am a biologist by training which makes me the default "expert" here - but I am an environmental biologist and although I know something about plant biology - when it comes to practical plant knowledge, I am a neophyte...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA