Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phylrae

Any experience w/these newer echinaceas?

phylrae
18 years ago

I'm looking into trying a few of the newer echinaceas referred to as The Big Sky series...

I specifically love the look/colors of Harvest Moon (golden orange), Sunrise (citron yellow), and Sunset (also known as Sundown (bright orange/red). I am also considering the newer bright pink/red called Twilight, and the fringy pink one called Fancy Frills.

Does anyone here grow any of these, and can you tell me a little bit about them? And where would be the best place to purchase (I only want one-two of each plant). I see that J&P offer a few, Garden Crossings and Sugar Creek Gardens offer a few. All I have right now is Rubinstern (Ruby Star) and Doppelganger. Thanks! :0) Phyl

Comments (8)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Phyl, 'Fancy Frills' isn't in the Big Sky Series. That one is a purple coneflower, E. purpurea.

The Big Sky Series is a hybrid resulting from crosses between E. purpurea and E. paradoxa. The feature they present from their E. purpurea parent is the display of fuller, toothed leaves and wider flower petals. The Big Sky Series was introduced in 2004. The two that were available that season were, of course, 'Sunrise' (citrus yellow), and 'Sunset' (orange that has a rose scent). These became hugely popular the first season, and the demand exceeded the supply. We found these to be well-branched and vigorous growers.

The other two introductions in this series are 'Harvest Moon' (earthy gold), and 'Twilight' (vibrant rose-red). We haven't grown the two new ones because -- well -- they're new and just became available to us fall of 2005. We assume they will be just as popular. And, the big deal with these is that they are not PURPLE.

Since we purchase in quantity for our cutflower production, I don't have a source that I can recommend for you. What I can recommend, however, is: Grow some. You will not be disappointed!!

• jansblooms
    18 years ago

Phyl,
    I just saw 'Sunrise,' 'Sunset,' and 'Fancy Frills' in the Wayside Gardens catalog the other evening. I can see why you're considering them. The yellow and orange varieties sell for $12.95 each, or 3 for $12.00. 'Fancy Frills' sells there for $19.95 each, or $18.00 for 2. Remember that I'm not a market grower and this would reflect no discount, and I've never ordered from this company. Customer service number is 1.800.845.1124.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayside Gardens

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I bought 3 of each of Sunrise, Sunset and Razzmatazz last year. And then I bought more elsewhere and more of Orange Meadowbrite and MAngo Meadowbright. Out of all those I might if I am lucky, have 1 survivor of each by next year. Mostly the young plants rotted off at the crown. I bought from Wayside, Jackson and Perkins, and someone else local at the NW garden show. I bouht Fragrant Angel (White) from Forest Farm and I think they may have survived. I bought a Jade (white with green center) at the grocery store and I think it survived. I wish I knew how to get them not to rot out! I had them in well draining soil, and they may have gotten too dry at times...

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

The Meadowbrite Series was pulled from production. There were too many problems reported with this series. So, it could very well be the situation you mentioned, lizalily, has nothing to do with your growing conditions. Echinacea has a long tap root. So, the plants should have been able to survive the too dry conditions that you also mentioned. Echinacea purpurea is native to eastern United States. The vendor said: "hot, windy conditions."

Just an aside. For those interested in breast cancer research, there is a new echinacea, 'Hope.' It's a really pretty soft pink. Portions of the proceeds will be donated for this cause.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Just one more thing that may be worth mentioning: 'Sunset' and 'Sundown' are not the same plant as indicated in the first post. I think 'Sundown' has a little more red in it; and, I don't believe it's part of the Big Sky Series. It is, however, from the same breeder; but, just not part of that series.

Thank you, Phyl, for this trip down "Coneflower Lane." It's always interesting to see what others are thinking about growing this season.

Trish

• Noni Morrison
    18 years ago

I just went and dchecked out :Itsaul"s growing site! Oh man, wish I could find about 6 of each in gallon size for a resonable price! I could in no ways handle a flat of 72 each but wish we had a NW cutter's co-op or something!

I figure if I can get one good plant of each going eventually they will need dividing.....long time to wait though when I would love to be surrounded by them!

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

There might be a little confusion here. Itsaul sells their patented plugs to large wholesale growers. Not to us growers who are able to purchase wholesale. I hope I'm making this clear. If it sounds political, it may very well be. But, it's the nature of the beast of patented varieties. These wholesale growers are huge growing houses such as Yoder, Greenleaf, Walters Garden, among others. These vendors, along with their logo, were listed on one of the pages on the Itsaul's website. These houses in turn supply some of us growers. We also have to meet certain quantity requirements. When we purchase these plants, they are not small seedling cuttings in the 72s tray. These plants have been grown off for a year, and, are purchased as bareroot plants. And, the order for these new ones generally had to be placed early fall.

Because these new echinacea are very popular; and, the fact the demand usually exceeds supply (good ol' economics), you aren't going to be able to find them for a price you might consider reasonable -- unless, of course, you consider $19.95 reasonable. I don't. But, then again, we're spending thousands of dollars per year on plant material.

At this time, propogation is prohibited on the patented varieties. This would include the Big Sky Series.

• flowers4u
    18 years ago

Everyone,
    I have enjoyed this thread too...I tried Ruby Star last year and one of the oranges - can't remember which one - but, I had thought the petals would be orange! Ha, just the cone! But, the flowers were huge, lovely and I'm looking forward to seeing how they wintered over.

Here's a link to Terra Nova - a breeder of new plants, their catalog is fabulous...and I'm trying to figure out where my "splurge" might be...one of the coneflowers for sure...and probably a campanula.

And, they're close, so I can go pick them up!

Wendy

Here is a link that might be useful: Terra Nova