Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Peas

Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 9:44

I'd like to grow some sweet peas this year to use for cut flowers. I've had requests for them at market but have never grown them. Not ever.

I was thinking about growing them on the east side of a cotoneaster hedge where they'll be protected from the prevailing west wind and shaded during the latter part of the day. The hedge is about 5' high and sheared annually right after the leaves emerge. I thought maybe I could use the hedge as a trellis - good idea, or not? I've been trying to figure out how to best grow them to make them easy to cut.

Any input most welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Peas

Hi Pudge, I would not recommend growing the SP's in the hedge, especially if you want the flowers for cutting. A trellis that is accessible from both sides is best. I use Hortnova netting put up vertically between two wooden posts, but you could use T posts. The vines are very vigorous and should produce prolifically. Harvest daily to keep them producing. What types are you growing? I always have Old Spice and this year I am also growing Spencer Hybrids and Insence Mix. I was going to add the Mammoth type too, but I ran out of room. Soooo many flowers to grow and not enough space. Sigh:) Kat

o
RE: Sweet Peas

• Posted by pudge 2/3 Sask (My Page) on
    Fri, Jan 16, 09 at 15:06

Thanks, Kat. Since I posted this question I've done more reading and have been discovering exactly what you suggest. I'll have to come up with a better location and trellising system.

I have Matucana and another unknown variety from harvested seed. Since I've never grown them, I'm not really sure what to expect but will give them a whirl and see what happens.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here