Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carrieluv2gro

June 6th - growing flowers for my wedding.

carrieluv2gro
15 years ago

Hi. I am getting married June 6th, 2009 and am starting to panic since we are trying to budget and will be providing the flowers for our wedding. I live in Zone 7a on the Eastern SHore and was wondering what flowers I could grow that will be ready by the wedding date? Various flowers that I currently have growing in the garden are tons of Corn Poppies (all colors), tons of Larkspur, Sweet William, and Batchelor Buttons and am pretty sure they will be in bloom by then. Although I am worried the sweet william may be peterring out by then. The early flowering Sweet Peas which were direct seeded on 11/21/09 around a trellis outdoors are about 1" tall now so will those be in bloom by June 6th? I was wondering what else I could start indoors then move to the coldframe prior to permanently setting out? Will the Sweet William still be in bloom? Could I start Zinnias and early flowering Sunflowers indoors and then transplant? Thank you for your help and insight.

Comments (16)

• farmhouseflowers
    15 years ago

carrieluv,
    The flowers you have already planted should all be blooming for your wedding in early June. There are a couple other flowers you can grow in time for your wedding. You should be able to have sunflowers without any problem. Buy a thousand seeds of Sunbright Supreme or some other 60 day variety from GeoSeed. www.geoseed.com Plant 1/3 of them March 25th, 1/3 on April 1st, and 1/3 on April 7th. You can plant some 60-70 day LA lilies March 10th (even if the last frost hasn't occurred) Get programmed lilies from Ednie Flower Bulbs. http://www.ednieflowerbulb.com/
    One word of caution: Deer love lilies and sunflowers.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

Darlow's Enigma, a beautiful white rose! Grows fast and tall and produces profusion!

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    15 years ago

I forgot to post a link to Darlow's Enigma. It looks like a bridal bouquet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Darlow's Enigma

• carrieluv2gro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all very much for your suggestions! The wedding date has changed to June 13th so hopefully the Larkspur will still be blooming and possibly the Poppies. Also, I have Shasta Daisy planted everywhere and am planning on germinating Painted Daisies soon. Do you think the Daisies will be in bloom by the 13th? Also, do you think Zinnias will be in bloom if I start germinating them indoors around mid-March and then transplanting them to an outdoor bed warmed with black plastic? The wedding is going to be an outdoor wedding with cottage style flowers. Any other suggestions in terms of flowers and fillers? Thank you.

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

What about white cosmos if started early enough? They are very cottagey.

Teresa

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Ladies mantle would make a fun frilly filler! :)

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

What about Canterbury Bells. They are a beautiful flower which are in bloom at that time in the season. Our are grown in a cold frame and moved out to the field when there is still a chance of frost. This flower seems to like that. It isn't too late to start some of the 'Champion Series' which bloom the first year from sowing. Generally, the other series won't bloom the first year since this plant is considered a bi-annual.

{{gwi:618170}}

• rachel_z6
    15 years ago

I've just looked at my notes from last year (I'm in MD too): The Shasta daisies didn't start blooming until mid-July. Early June some hydrangeas were starting to bloom, and they are lovely in arrangements.

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

Trish, how tall is your bouquet in the above photo? Can you also tell me approx. stem count. It looks lovely and very full. Thanks. Kat

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

Kat,

There are actually four bouquets in the tub. If my memory serves me correct (foggy brain and all), there is one lily, five stems of Canterbury Bells, and three Karma Dahlias in each bouquet. The Canterbury Bells do make the bouquet nice and full. Many customers will purchase two bouquets to put in a large vase. Wedding customers will use our bucket idea, and purchase several bouquets to fill bright colored buckets for outdoor weddings. I have seen the buckets at Target in their outdoor furniture/entertaining department. I think they are actually meant to hold ice. As far as height on the bouquets, I'm going to say 18" since our flowers need to fit on our truck three shelves high. Actually, taller flowers ride on the bottom.

Hope this information has been helpful. I tried to be brief!

• miss_huff
    15 years ago

I live in Atlanta, but what's blooming here the time of your wedding is daylillies, totally.

I love the fact that you are doing this yourself. In Atlanta, yes, the zinnias would be blooming -- without the black plastic -- but like someone suggested, always mix cosmos with zinnias! That was an excellent idea. Plus, they hold each other up. I would never plant zinnias w/o them -- zinnias (there are different sized heads - plant them all), short orange cosmos, tall pink and white cosmos -- these together are the definition of a stand-out cottage garden. It will look great!

Oh - what about coreopsis seeds? Cheap, neon yellow, and dependable.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

• steve22802
    15 years ago

Hi Carrie,

I think you could probably get calla lilies (Zantedeschia aethiopica or albomaculata) to bloom for you in time for your wedding, but it would be cutting it a little close. According to my records from last season I planted calla bulbs on April 20th and coincidentally I harvested my first stem on exactly June 6th, 2008. I think you could push them to bloom a week or so sooner if you planted them a little earlier, maybe April 1st, and then covered them with a cold frame or small plastic hoop tunnel to warm the soil up to at least 55 degrees to get them growing. They are also commonly grown in pots, so if you have some room indoors you should be able to get them blooming earlier in a warm house.

If you really wanted to try to grow callas outdoors in time for your wedding it would be a good idea to try and find a gardener or botanical garden near you that leaves callas in the ground over winter and keeps good records. Ask them what day their first calla bloomed and on what date you could expect to cut enough for your wedding given that you plant them on April 1st.

- Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Pacific Callas

• carrieluv2gro
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all so very much for your thoughtful responses! The wedding date has officially changed to June 13th instead. Flower Farmer your arrangement is GORGEOUS!!!!! It has the carefree, colorful, and natural feel that I want for my wedding arrangements. I have a pack of Caterburry Bells "cup and saucer" which I could start in my coldfram now but since it's a perennial I guess it won't bloom this year. My coldframe is 100 degress right now! Is there anything I can start in coldframe (with lid lifted halfway up during the day)that will be in bloom by June 13th? Bells of Ireland, Snaps, Foxy Foxglove? The Statice seeds I started in a sunny window on 1/30 are germinating like crazy right now. Today I started a flat of Calendula, Sunray Coreopsis, and Blue Bedder Salvia and placed in a sort of sunny window. Could I start tall Phlox, Cosmos, Zinnias, and Sunflowers in coldframe 2 to 4 weeks before last frost (@April 15) and have in bloom by June 13th? Hopefully I'll have ton of pictures to post of the flowers as my wedding date nears.

• mayaguthrie_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi there - I live in the UK, but am also growing my own flowers for the occasion. We're getting married on August 26th, and are amassing: anemone, and ranunculus bulbs. I know I'm a whole ocean away, but if anyone's got any tips on growing flowers to order (scary!), I'd be ever so grateful. My tactic at the moment is just to plant way too many bulbs in the hopes that some of them will pop up on the day! Good luck to whoever it is who's growing flowers for their June wedding too, and congrats!

• Tammy_Newcomer
    11 years ago

Hi! I also live in Maryland and am planning on getting married on June 8th. I would love to learn about your results! I am working now to plan out what to plant for my flowers! Thanks!

• Angevine
    10 years ago

I'm in Missouri, and getting married August 16th. I'm planning to grow some of our flowers, too. It was fun to see your ideas, and realize that other people are trying the same thing!

Sponsored