Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beverlywv

Caryopteris : the best?

beverlywv
19 years ago

I am trying to decide which caryopteris to grow to cut. I have a couple in front garden but do not remember which type they are. Is there one that is better for cut than the others? Stem length etc... Has anyone grown Sunshine Blue? This is a new one that is supposed to be far prettier than the old yellow foliaged one. I believe the Sunshine Blue may be in short supply this year. Bev

Comments (7)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    19 years ago

I have a dark-green-foliaged one with darker blue flowers, called First Choice. I like the flower color best of all of the Caryopteris. It's definitely blue, not purple, and darker than the standard Longwood Blue (I'm not sure I got that name right). I have yet to find out if the stem length is any better. They went in as bareroots last spring and are enduring their first winter right now.

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    19 years ago

Caryopteris really appreciate being mulched during our harsh winters.
    First Choice and Longwood Blue have already been mentioned. These choices are good for you in zone 6-9. Not good for us Michiganders.
    Also, check out Dark Knight. These are all available from Walters Gardens along with the Sunshine Blue.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    19 years ago

Yup, that's where I got my First Choice plants from! I'm in zone 5, though, not 6. In fact, my primary growing field has a zone 4 microclimate, due to a cold-sink problem, but the caryopteris is in a warmer, more sheltered area.

I tend not to mulch anything because our long, cold, wet, dramatic-temperature-swing springs and autumns tend to cause anything that is mulched to rot, especially plants that prefer dryish conditions - like caryopteris, for instance.

I didn't go for Dark Knight because the only description I could find made it sound more purple than blue. I already have all the purple I can stand. Do you know what color it really is?

Jeanne

• flowerfarmer
    19 years ago

I don't know why Walter's Gardens said they are zone 6-9. We are also zone 5; and, I drive by their fields. Maybe just to play it safe.
    The Dark Knight seemed to be a deeper purple blue.
    Now Jeanne you know that purple looks good with your favorite color orange!!!!

• beverlywv
    Original Author
    19 years ago

The Caryopteris "Sunshine Blue" already sold out at Walters.

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    19 years ago

Believe it or not, I actually do make purple and orange bouquets, usually with some yellow or white or both added. I can't stand them myself! - but they usually sell, if I don't make too many of them. But I do have way too much purple. It's one of my favorite colors. I took a vow a year ago not to acquire any more purple perennials until the rest of the colors got caught up. It's going to be awhile.

Jeanne

• Tim Wood
    18 years ago

The two best Caryopteris - Petit Bleu which has dark flowers, glossy dark green leaves and a full compact habit. I've compared it side by side with Dark Knight, Grand Blue, and First Choice and think that it beats them all.

Sunshine Blue is a new golden leafed form of incana that blows Worcester Gold away.

Sponsored