Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
question about lily bulbs

Posted by gardengirl77 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 21, 11 at 11:43

I want to order some lily bulbs and I wanted to know if the size 12/14 lily bulbs will come up as well as the 14/16. I can get the smaller size for quite a bit cheaper and was wondering if they would work for cutting this year. Also, does anyone know how many years you can use a lily bulb for cutting?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: question about lily bulbs

Sure, they will come up fine. They will not have as many flowers the first year. In the ground, bulbs will keep getting bigger and last for years.

o

If you plan to use the lilies multiple years, then you need to leave a good portion of the stalk or alternate years of cutting. This allows the bulb to grow and receive the light/nutrients it needs. If you cut it too hard they may not come back or will only have 1-3 blooms the following year.

And, in my case, the gophers love them, so mine are planted in crates or raised beds lined with hardware cloth and weedcloth first.

I like 14/16 because you can get 3-7 blooms depending upon the variety and they make a nice bouquet with 3 stems.

Good luck,
Wendy in OR

o

The larger the bulb the larger & more flowers. After years of buying smaller bulbs and getting OK results, I spent the extra money for larger bulbs and the 1st year they ALL grew and had large flowers. In addition I made a special raised bed using Trex lumber, lined it with hardware cloth to prevent voles from eating the bulbs. I grow the lilies to sell at my Farmers' Market and they all sold quickly at $4/stem.

Buying larger bulbs also pertains to most other "bulb" plants.

o

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the information.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here