Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Cut Flower Production Short Course notes by Arnoskys

steve22802
15 years ago

I just found these course notes published on the web and I thought others might be interested in reading about the experiences and methods of cut flower growers Pam and Frank Arnosky of Texas.

- Steve

Comments (9)

• thinman
    15 years ago

Good find, Steve. Although my mind is boggled by the scale of their operation, I found a ton of stuff in those notes that is great for a relative greenhorn like me.

Thanks for posting it.

ThinMan

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

Yes. Pam and Frank Arnosky are the cut flower gurus. Some of us cannot get by without our monthly dose of Pam and Frank advice. We are "Arnosky Heads!" OMG. Can you imagine if someone does a Google Search on that one? I cannot be held accountable. Seriously. I think it is my medication. And, some of you are thinking, "Would you just get to the point already!" Well, alright. If you insist.

If you found a ton of stuff in those notes that is great for a relative greenhorn, then you should also be subscribing to Growing for Market Pam and Frank Arnosky are contributing editors to this publication. In fact, you might consider ordering the Beginners Special, which consists of publication from 2001-2008, and including 2009. Pam and Frank took a break from writing articles last year; however, I have been informed by Lynn Byczynski, the editor/publisher of the publication that Pam and Frank are again writing articles for this season -- as in, you know, being contributing editors. How dare they take a break from writing. Don't they realize some of us are hopeless/helpless without their ideas?

And, if you visit the suggested website, consider purchasing The Flower Farmer, Second Edition. Gosh. I am thinking I need to be on Lynn's payroll since I promote her all the time. But, seriously, information sharing is what it is all about. Right? And, evidently, the word, seriously is my word for the week. Or, seriously being overused by me!

Trish

• thinman
    15 years ago

...then you should also be subscribing to Growing for Market ...

Yep, Trish, I am.

I have been informed by Lynn Byczynski, the editor/publisher of the publication that Pam and Frank are again writing articles for this season

Right. Their Cut Flowers column appears in the January issue along with ... eight pages of color printing!

consider purchasing The Flower Farmer, Second Edition.

Yep, got it. What else ya got?

Seriously, its great to be reading your posts, Trish.

ThinMan

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

Well, seriously I may be running out of ideas here. Or, it may be my editor/son saying to me, "Do you have that article written yet?" Which, in all honesty, since I all about full disclosure, No. I. Do. Not. Sometimes the creative juices do not flow freely. Sometimes they overfloweth which seriously may be a problem because then I am, you know, all over the field. Case in point: The article I submitted to that editor/son of mine the other day, was just mercilessly written on with the dreaded red ink. And, his question to me was: "Seriously. Did you even proofread this before you handed it to me? Quite frankly. No I did not. Isn't that what he is for? Yes. I thought you would agree with me.

So, anyway, back on point. Have you read the Arnosky book: We're Gonna Be Rich?" It contains all their articles from 1995 through 1998. I know. It sounds like a long time ago; however, so much of the information is relevant. And, Frank and Pam are so funny. That book is still on my bedside table.

And, if you've received the January issue of Growing for Market, on page 21, there within the Arnosky article is a picture of our farm! How neat is that? To this flower farmer it is sweet!

And, pulling one more idea from my hat, have you considered joining the Association of Specialty Cut Flower Growers? Pam and Frank Arnosky belong to this organization as well.

Warmest Regards,

Flower Farmer

• flowers4u
    15 years ago

Steve - thanks for the link...I haven't read it all, but am pleased that a lot of what I've read I've "figured out" along the way. Sometimes the hard way...!

Trish - Seriously...I'm very glad you're back posting and thank you for all of your very helpful information and chuckles too!

Wendy

• thinman
    15 years ago

Thanks, Trish for the extra suggestions. I have looked for We're Gonna Be Rich, but it's out of print, and the few new copies left are priced around $100, if you can find one. I did find a used one for $42, but I think I have too many supplies to buy and barely enough money for them, so I'll be waiting. Good idea about the ASCFG. I'll see how the season goes.

Steve - I've been messing up your very fine thread here, but I'll stop now. Sorry.

ThinMan

• kitkat_oregon
    15 years ago

Thinman, did you try the Growing for Market website for a copy of the Arnoskys book. I couldnt swear to it, but I am pretty sure they offered it for sale, and if it is not available from them, you could email Lynn and ask her if she has a copy, you never know. Kat

• thinman
    15 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion, Kat. The book is listed in The Flower Farmer as being for sale from Lynn, but it's not offered on the website at this time. That's a good idea about emailing Lynn. It's worth a try.

ThinMan

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

What do you all think of the county extension services in your area(s), helpful or not? I'm finding lots of good info. put out by UIUC and NCSU, for example, but want to get your opinions. Thanks.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner