Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_mn

Cinnamon Basil

jennifer_mn
18 years ago

Does cinnamon basil, or any of the basils, have a long vase life? What other herbs last when cut? Thanks.

Comments (8)

• Jeanne_in_Idaho
    18 years ago

I got about five days' vaselife from the various basils, including cinnamon, that I grew in my greenhouse. That was too short for me. The plants weren't very happy, though, probably because they were in a greenhouse (with one or two layers of plastic) rather than in full sun. Perhaps the vase life is better from a happier plant.

Jeanne

• kfuerst27
    18 years ago

I usually get a good 7 days from my basil, especially from African Blue, which I like better than Cinnamon. African Blue even occasionally roots itself.

Kelly

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

You could probably get more than a 5 day vase life with basil, if you used a holding solution after harvest. I really like the look of the African Blue. There are also so many other herbs to use in bouquets: mountain mint, horehound, lemon balm, monarda, oregano, dill, fennel.

Trish

• jennifer_mn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks! I will look into the African Blue. Trish, are the other herbs you listed long-lasting?

• Fundybayfarm
    18 years ago

I never had good luck with the vase life on lemon balm, but have used dill, oregano, ginger mint, and my favorite, spearmint. I used that for the first time last year and loved it. It held up well, and smelled great with the other flowers. Too bad I've already placed my orders or I'd try some of the African blue basil. I didn't like oriental breeze at all, it smelled like cat pee. (maybe my cat pee'd on it) I also use bronze and florence fennel.
    Cheryl

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

We harvest lemon balm before it flowers, and, hydrate -- always, always. If you are starting your herbs from seed, Mountain mint is the only mint that comes true from seed. Sweet Dani is another good basil (lemon scent). Not mentioned in my previous post: artemesia, rosemary, sage and lavender.

What is the optimum vase life you would like to see in fresh cutflowers?

Trish

• jennifer_mn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all these ideas. I suppose optimum vase life would be at least 7 days. Trish, when you say "hydrate", do you mean you have some special hydrating solution, or just let them sit in preservative for a while? I usually cut my flowers in the evening and let them sit overnight in Floralife or its ilk.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

If that works for you, Jennifer, I don't see any reason to fix that which isn't broken. We deal with alot of humidity. So, the flowers that tend to wilt we try to cut early in the morning; and, we do use a hydrating solution. Before they are loaded for market, they are transferred to a solution similar to Floralife. Sometimes (okay -- most of the time) we have to go out in the evening and cut more. The flowers that have been put in hydrating condition go into a certain color bucket so that we know which ones haven't been transferred to a holding solution.
    Trish

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz