Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowers4u_gw

The best of the woodies

flowers4u
18 years ago

Hi -

I'm focusing on woody plant additions this year, so need your advice on the best for cutting purposes and that don't take 10 years to reach a cutting stage:

Lilacs

Viburnums

Wiegela

Heathers

Spirea

Other woodyies you may use (I use buddlea, wild cherry, ocean spray, snowberry, curly willow, & mock orange)

I'm also going to add mugo pines and juniper shrubs (need the name for the big ones and the blue/grey ones)

Thanks!

Wendy

Comments (11)

• chris_canada
    18 years ago

Smoke bush (Cotinus coggyria) foliage lasts well. The purple colour looks good in bouquets.

Chris

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

If you aren't already growing them, you might try hydrangea. We have arborescens 'Annabelle, and paniculata 'Limelight.' Also, might want to try caryopteris 'Sunshine Blue.' The hydrangea bloomed in its second year; but, was better the third season.

Most of our other shrubs/woodies were at a stage where we felt we could use them for cuts after 6-7 years. They might be worth mentioning though.

White forsythia, 'Abeliophyllum distichum'
    Forsythia, 'Roseum'
    Calicarpa (Beautyberry), 'Profusion'
    Deutzia, 'Magicien'
    Prunus (Flowering Almond), 'Rosea Plena'
    Spireas
    Salix, 'Britzensis' (Instead of red twig dogwood)
    Caprea (French Pussy Willow)
    Caprea, 'Meland stachys' (Black Pussy Willow)
    Viburnum, 'Blue Muffin' and Cranberry and Snowball
    Ilex verticillata (Winterberry)

We have hardy hibuscus shrubs, Rose of Sharon, on the property that are very old; and, we cut away at these. They're a double flowering pink. The lilacs on the property are also old. They have white flowers, which is pretty unique when all the other vendors at market have the purple. We have added a French purple cultivar; and, I don't know the name. We also have some old shrubs with clusters of white flowers that have a sweet honey scent. No cutflower vendor at market has these. They work for us as a cutflower -- although we don't know the name; and, of course, the customers always ask.

• flowers4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Chris and Flowerfarmer - THANKS!

I do use purple smokebush, and would like to add more (they went very well with the late pale yellow cosmos!)

Flowerfarmer - do you know the variety names of the spireas and hardy hibiscus? The hardy hibiscus I have is more ornamental, and the flowers last a day, but they're huge red blooms about 8" - and in my house garden, not the cutting garden!

Thanks for the rest of the list! I love my pink and blue lilacs and wish I had more...the white isn't big enough to bloom yet, but soon I hope!

I have a few Annabelle hydrangeas and pee gees, but they're still small as well. Is limelight a shrub or tree type? Or both?

Do you use any laurels? I used Otto Luyken and English laurel this year...boy, does it last a long time in the bucket!

Thanks for the advice! Now, need to find the growers...

Wendy

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Wendy,
    Thanks for the laurel suggestion.
    'Limelight,' hydrangea paniculata is a Pee Gee. Oh, and, it is suggested growing this one in partial shade brings out more of the lime color. We have two spirea. First: 'Froebelii' which is supposed to be hardier than Anthony Waterer. And, second, 'Renaissance.' This one is an improved Bridal Wreath. I don't know the exact name of our Rose of Sharon (Hardy Hibuscus); however, it looks much like 'Boule de Feu' with its carnation like blooms. They don't look at all like a hibuscus. Here's a photo. They are the pink flowers in the lower left. Market customers really liked them.

{{gwi:618431}}

• flowers4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wow --- such a great picture...totally took my attention away from the questions I had!! So great to see the "flowers of your labor!" Beautiful...!!!! (p.s. I think our forum needs a photo gallery!!!)

Thanks for the variety names for the spirea. I'll start looking for these, and the hardy hibiscus too.

And, I've also grown Dark Knight Caryopteris and love it...in each of its stages. I forgot to add that to my list above.

Thanks again,
    Wendy

• Patty_WI
    18 years ago

Two of my landscape shrubs that have worked well for arrangements are black and red chokeberry.

The black chokeberry has large berries that mature in the late summer and the red has med berries that mature early fall.

I bought 3 'Renaissance' spirea last fall, a ruby spice pepper bush, and two purple smoke bushes. Hopefully these will grow well for me. This spring/summer I want to add snowball Bush Viburnum, dogwood and hydrangeas.

Patty

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

My favorites are of course a little different from others since I do thousands of wreaths from the woodies I grow.

My list would have to be:
    Curly Willow (see pic)
    Rose hip
    PussyWillow
    Dogwood
    Boxwood
    Holly

8 acres of woodies: 1,500 curly willow trees.
    {{gwi:618435}}

Bryan

• butterflylion
    18 years ago

Here's a link to a list of Woodies for Cuts and other info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodies List

• bryan_ut
    18 years ago

bfl, thanks for the link. I think I need to add some more woodies. Now just where do I put them?

Bryan

• flowers4u
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the reminder...I looked at the site a long time ago...now, to research "varieties" that work --- and quickly!! smile...

Wendy

• bluestarrgallery
    18 years ago

Wendy, I find mugo pine, juniper and smoke bush grow very slowly for me, perhaps in your climate they might grow faster. I do find that abelia, all willows, flowering plum, privet, forsythia, elderberry, and lots of vines grow fast and can be used for their flowers and foliage. I use grape vines and vinca for foliage too. Vinca major, like ivy, can be invasive though.

Not sure what big juniper you are referring to - Hollywood juniper? (grows too slow)- a fast growing cypress is Leylandii, nice blue juniper is Wichita. I have found most junipers won't re-grow if you cut too far into the woody parts.

Linda