Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
steve22802

Is Lycoris squamigera good for cutting?

steve22802
15 years ago

I recently realized that I have a fair number of Lycoris squamigera (aka Naked Ladies or Surprise Lilies) scattered around my perennial beds. Would these be good additions for the cut flower bouquets I'll be arranging for the Farmers Market this year or would they wither to quickly? How many days of vase life might I be able to get out of them?

If they turn out to be a good cut flower I think that I will dig a lot of them out of the perennial beds next fall and relocate them into dedicated cutting beds. I've sort of neglected them but they have been multiplying anyway so I should have plenty of extras to stock a cutting bed.

- Steve

Comments (8)

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

Seriously. You must stop. Every time you post a new flower, I think to myself, I. Must. Have. That. It is very pretty. As a relative of the Amaryllis, I would think with proper hydrating, you could indeed use Lycoris squamigera as a cut flower. I sorta/kinda looked for the article published on Amaryllis as a cut flower. I couldn't find it. Or, I didn't have the energy to search. Yes. That's it. No energy. If I had to guess at vase life (which, of course, I am), I would say five days. When in reality, I should actually be saying, let me get back to you on that when I have more solid information, and not this great desire TO JUST GO TO BED ALREADY.

So, until my brain is less foggy, I should perhaps just leave this for another day.

Trish (Who pretty much has spent the entire day rambling.)

• steve22802
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lycoris squamigera is part of the Amaryllidaceae family, as you mentioned, so I looked up vase life of the common Amaryllis belladonna, and I found various listings of 7-10 days, 7-12 days and 8-14 days. It would be nice if I could get that out of the Lycoris too, but I kinda doubt they will last as long. The petals just seem frailer than Amaryllis. I guess I'll just have to try some in a vase and see what happens. I have lots of them buried around in perennial beds where they have been multiplying themselves with wild abandon.

I just have the common pink variety. The other varieties in Brent and Beckys catalog (chinensis, longituba, radiata) look pretty nice too but I don't want to get too carried away buying different varieties if they don't cut well. They sure do seem to like the climate here in Virginia though which is always a welcome quality! :) Now that I read more closely under the listing of Amaryllis belladonna I notice that it does say "in zone 7 it can overwinter with extra mulch that is pulled off in early spring." Maybe I should try some of the true Amaryllis after all here! :) It would be awesome if I could keep those in the ground and get them to multiply as rapidly as the Lycoris!

Let's see, maybe I could make a nice dedicated raised bed for them with soft well drained organic soil (instead of our local clay) and insulated bed walls and a nice mini single bed hoop tunnel to keep them cozy... ;) Come to think of it I guess I could do that for the Dahlias and the Ranunculus too instead of digging them up every year... :( It's a slippery slope isn't it!? It would probably be easier just to move from the Valley (Zone 7) out to the Piedmont (Zone 8) but then I suppose there would be a market glut of the Zone 8 flowers. I WILL NOT have zone envy, I WILL NOT have zone envy, I WILL NOT have zone envy.... ;(

• flower_farmer
    15 years ago

I WILL NOT have zone envy, I WILL NOT have zone envy, I WILL NOT have zone envy.... ;( Since I am all about honesty and full disclosure today, and seriously wanting not to do the work on my desk, I must admit we do have zone envy because we are oh so tired of the snow and cloud cover. Oh, wait. That isn't what I meant to say. We seriously considered moving to Virginia. Yes, we did. But, as you so nicely pointed out there is a lot of competition in the specialty cut flower growing. But, why do you suppose there doesn't seem to be any cut flower growers at the Richmond Market? This I do not understand.

And, clay soil? You have clay soil? We have our share. We like it not at all.

• teresa_b
    15 years ago

I had Lycoris at my previous home and really liked it a lot. Yes, I did cut it and it lasted a few days but I never conditioned them so that may explain it. Mine also multiplied rapidly and I liked the fact that they had a nice scent.

Teresa

• all_bout_flowers
    15 years ago

My regular florist loves Naked Ladies every year she asks me for them. I guess they have a wonderful scent and last a long time. I got some from a friend and planted them last spring. Unfortunately, our bizzare weather with a very late snow zapped them. Hopefully, this year if the weather in the A.M. starts to get in the 40's they'll come up. But then there's the constant rain. Anyhow, I would talk to some florist in your area they might pay top dollar for them.

• steve22802
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I suspect the Naked Ladies you have are Amaryllis belladonna rather than Lycoris squamigera. They both share the same common name because the blossoms appear naked stems. I may have to try some Amaryllis belladonna even though they are not rated for my zone. I might be able to nurse them through the winter with some extra protection. Lycoris squamigera are much hardier (to zone 5) but apparently not so good for cuting. :(

• Noni Morrison
    15 years ago

I tried lycoris outside late year and had only one bloom out of a dozen plants, but it was an exceptionally cool summer and they were in poor soil under trees. The one I grew in a pot was gorgeous with other amaryllis for Thanksgiving. I would love to grow them if I thought I could get them to do better!

• soonergrandmom
    15 years ago

I have some growing just inches from my house foundation that I am going to have to move for a room addition. They are already about 4 inches tall. Do you think they will survive?

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH