Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beginner 'cutting garden' gardener - what would you plant?

Posted by jeankeeter 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 4, 10 at 15:25

Hi everyone,

I am new as a "cutting garden" gardener (I typically planted herbs and veggies in containers before I moved into a home with land to plant on!)

What flowers would you recommend for someone like me to grow? I am open to annuals and perennials. I would like to direct sow, if possible ~ but would start seeds indoors if needed.

Thank you so much!
Jeannie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beginner 'cutting garden' gardener - what would you plant?

Hi Jeannie!

I'm in a rush to get out the door (should be on my way to work and not on GW, lol!) but here's a quick link to a thread with people's favorite cut flowers.

Hope this helps! Have fun!
:)
Dee

Here is a link that might be useful: favorite cut flowers

o

I'm going to add another of my favorites.
I't a saldago called Cloth of Gold. It starts blooming early,June,and continues all season.

o

If you are growing from seed, you need to investigate winter sowing on this site. It's fun, cheap and amazingly successful. It stretches a dollar a long way . . . .

o

Thank you gardenerme! I decided to take your advice and just did some winter sowing today. My first try ever! You can read about it on my blog at http://www.mythreegardens.com Thank you for the suggestion!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Three Gardens

o

Good idea on the winter sowing. I was stunned with my great results last year at growing all those perennials I could never grow or paid too much for. I even cut a delphinium bloom here in Missouri in November! My seed order should be here any day for winter sowing; however, for direct sowing, I enjoy cosmos and Benary's zinnias for many blooms in mid to late summer.

I noticed that this site no longer has the history it used to have. I picked up many good ideas from some of those older posts.

Teresa

o

Jeannie,
You are very organized. Just a reminder columbine, lupine, echinacea most of your perennials will not take off for a few years so make sure you plant plenty of annuals to fill the gap.

o

Lavender is easy to grow as long as your soil drains well. It's kind of hard to grow from seed, though. Santolina likes the same conditions as lavender, but I'm not sure if you can start it from seed. Both of these smell amazing after you cut them to bring indoors.

o

Lavender is not hard to grow from seeds at all. I just did. and i'm new to gardening. just put the seeds in a moist paper towel and put that in a zip lock bag. in 3 days my seeds sprouted. put them in rich potting soil and you are good to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here