Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellegallica

Chabaud or Grenadin

bellegallica
18 years ago

Hi,

Who here has grown both Chabaud and Grenadin carnations? I was wondering how they compare for the average person. I'm interested more in fragrance than bloom size. I love the scent of carnations.

Comments (5)

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

I was wondering how they compare for the average person???

Dianthus caryophyllis, common name Carnation. The best cultivars are propagated by cuttings. Cultivars propagated by seed are usually inbred series. Carnations usually have two peaks of flowering -- spring and fall. Perennial dianthus is usually at its best the second year. This is why we stagger plantings so that we have sections of second-year plants ready for cutflowers each year. And, this information may be more than an average person wants or needs to know.

As a grower, we want to have both, 'Chabaud' and 'Grenadin' in the field. 'Chabaud' flowers continuously. The 'Grenadin' series is similar; however, it flowers in flushes during the season; and, blooms some the first year. If you are looking for fragrance, 'Enfant de Nice' has the best scent; however, it has weaker stems. The 'Diana' series are a spray type, and used for field production. The field grown varieties of carnations are actually poor relatives of the more sophisticated greenhouse grown ones. The Big Three flowers grown for the wholesale flower market are carnations, chrysanthemums, and roses. We don't compete with that market because our bouquets are more of a casual, country style where we would, of course, take advantage of the field grown varieties.

And, there are these dianthus we treat as annuals: Amazon, Bouquet Purple, Melody, Noverna, Sweet............

Trish

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Flowerfarmer,

Thank you for the information.

Where do you find the cuttings of the best cultivars?
    However, I'm only growing these for my personal enjoyment, so I think I'll be happy with the seed grown varieties.

I do have another question. I have the book, Carnations and Pinks for Garden and Greenhouse, by John Galbally. He talks about how border carnations should not be pinched/stopped because they branch naturally. He says that perpetual flowering carnations should be pinched/stopped.

But he doesn't say anything about Chabaud or Grenadin that are usually grown as annuals. Should they be pinched/stopped?

Thanks again.

• flowerfarmer
    18 years ago

Border carnations are the same species as the carnations grown for the floral industry. But, you were also asking about the dianthus, Chabaud and Grenadin. These two aren't grown as annuals. They are perennial -- actually biennial. If they are started early enough in the season, they will bloom later in the season the first year.

To pinch or not to pinch that is the question. Pinch out the growing tips in the seedling tray when the plants are 2-3" high. This encourages bushy growth. However, if you desire a large flower rather than sprays, pinch the buds along the stem, leaving only the main bud. You'll have to do this every couple of days.

"Where do you find the cuttings of the best cultivars?"
    I'm a grower; therefore, I have a variety of sources. For your own personal enjoyment, you might check with a full scale nursery for the two varieties we're talking about. I would doubt the ordinary box store carries them.

Trish

• annebert
    18 years ago

Bellegallica,
    I have extra Grenadin seeds that I could send you. I ordered them in frenzy and then was disappointed when the references I checked said they had to be grown as biennials. Thanks to Trish's comment, I will try to get them to work as annuals (another excuse to plant right now!)
    Send me an email.

Anne

• bellegallica
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Anne,

Thank you for the offer, but I already have some 'Grenadin' and 'Chabaud' seeds that I bought from Stokes. After reading Trish's recommendation, I also ordered some 'Enfant de Nice' from another supplier. I'm trying them all to see which I like best. From my reading, I was under the impression that if you start these early enough in the year they will flower some the first year. But I do remember reading elsewhere that they are really at their best the second year, as Trish said.

I already have some 'Chabaud' and 'Grenadin' sprouting now. I also planted a dwarf variety of 'Grenadin' as well. As soon as my 'Enfant de Nice' arrive I'll be planting those so that I might get some flowers this year. The cool thing about living in Zone 8 is that these plants will probably keep growing right through the winter.

I planted some Dianthus plumarius 'Spring Beauty' a few months ago, and a couple of those plants are budding right now.

Last night I planted some Dianthus chinensis 'Victoriana.'

I'm just a Dianthus freak, I guess. I love their foliage as well as the flowers.

Sponsored