Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid August wedding questions

Posted by Angevine 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 27, 14 at 16:33

Hello!
I've noticed several other wedding flower related pleas for help in this thread, but at risk of being repetitive, I'll add mine.
I'm getting married next summer, August 16th. I've always wanted to grow at least some of the flowers for my wedding myself, both for sentimental and financial reasons. However, I'm currently working in France and won't be back in the U.S. until mid to late May.
I'm interested in easy to grow plants that can be direct sown or sown outdoors in pots in late May for an August bloom, as well as dahlias.
Some I'm considering are zinnias, orlaya grandiflora, cornflowers, snapdragons, love lies bleeding amaranth, dill, nigella and feverfew or chamomile (is chamomile easy to germinate?).
Any advice or suggestions? Of the plants I listed, any that wouldn't perform well under the circumstances I described? I'm planning to buy some dahlia tubers, too, but I don't know if the end of May is too late to plant them to have flowers by mid August.
I'd love to hear any other plant suggestions, and anything you can tell me about the needs of the ones I listed and their potential as cut flowers in mid August.
I've already posted on another forum, where it was suggested that 8-12 weeks simply wasn't enough time to get many blooms from most of the plants I listed. I might be able to bribe my younger siblings to start some things indoors for me in April, but it would have to be easy to germinate and fairly tough, as well as a good candidate for transplanting. Would all of the plants I mentioned be able to perform well in a large pot instead of in a garden bed?
Any advice about staggering the plantings/quantity to plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here