Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bryan_ut

grow lists 2008

bryan_ut
16 years ago

Now that I have ordered all my flower seed. Here is mine:

Amaranthus: Hot Biscuits, Illumination, Green/Red Tower; Ammi: Green mist; Artemisia: Silver King; Bells of Ireland; Campanula: Champion, Medium (cup and saucer); Calendula; Caryopteris: Dark Knight; Carthamus: Orange; Celosia: Hi-Z, Kurume, Cramers; Cosmos; Delphinium: Bellamosum, Connecticut Yankee; Dianthus; Amazon duo, Amazon rose magic, Purple bouquet; Echinacea: Magnus, Primadona; Glads; Gomphrena: Purple all round, Red strawberry, White, Carmine; Grass: Purple majesty millet, Black Sorghum, Black Sorghum Amber, Red Sorghum, Se. Hylander, Se. Macrochaeta, Se. Verticillata, Sorghum hegari, Tapestry; Larkspur: Sublime; Liatris: Picador; Lilies: Asiatic, Foxtail, Oriental; Lepidium Cress; Nigella; Oregon Grape; Rubeckia: Becky (gallons plants), Cherokee, Indian summer; Snaps: Madame Butterfly mix, Rocket White, Rocket Yellow, Rocket Red; Statice: Rose, Purple, Dk Blue, Lt Blue, White; Sunflowers; Sweet peas; Veronica: Longfolia, Red Fox; Zinna: Benery Giant

Edible flowers: (for CSA and restaurants).

Bachelor's button; Calendula; Dianthus; Hollyhock; Honneysuckle; Lavender; Lilac; Marigold; Monarda didyma; Nasturtium; Pansy; Scarlet runner bean; Snapdragon; Squash; Sunflower

Now that does not look like alot.

I am still working on my woodies, herbs and veggie lists. This does not include all the other perennials from year gone by: peonies, echinops, other types of echinacea, veronicas, foxgloves, delphiniums, shasta daisies, rudbeckias, asters, basketflower, curly willow, pussywillow, forsthia, etc...

Sorry Trish I know I need some Dahlias.

Let me know if someone sees something nice and new missing.

Thanks!!!

Bryan

Comments (38)

• flower_farmer
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nice order Bryan. I'm picturing beautiful wreaths with all those choices. We grew some type of artemesia. Actually, we planted it in 2006. And, there it was in a straight row in 2007. We didn't know what it was because it didn't look like the usual Sweet Annie. Maybe Mugwort? Artemesia vulgaris? I don't know. However, it was beautiful in bouquets, wreaths, and swags. Softer green. Nice scent. Silver King Artemesia is also nice - fresh and dried. That really spreads.

BTW I love that tapestry millet. L.O.V.E. it. Fresh and dried. Cannot live without it.

I will forgive you on the dahlias :)

Where's the lisianthus? Where are the tuberose?

We had alot of problems with our Benary's Giant zinnias last season. Maybe the drought.

Warm Regards,

Trish

• bfff_tx
    16 years ago

Here's mine.
    Achillea - Summer Berries, Colorado and Summer Pastels
    Ageratum - blue horizon - Lonus Inodora(yellow)
    Amaranthus - Opopeo, Green cascade, green thumb,
    Ammi - Green Mist, Graceland
    Campanula Champ Med - White, Lavendar and blue
    Celosia - Kurume, Cramers Amazon, Chief, Sylphid, Hi-Z
    Cornflowers - King Sz Blue
    Daffodils - King Alfred and Dutch Master
    Delphinium - Pac Giants Mix and blue bird - Magic Fount Mix, Belladonna Oriental Blue and Bellamosum
    Dianthus - Amazon Neon Purple, Purple Bouquet and Sweet series
    Dutch Iris - Golden Beauty, Carmen and Blue Sapphire
    Echinacea - Magnus
    Feverfew - Tetra White Balls Ultra dble and Virgo
    Godetia - Grace mix
    Gomphrena - Strawb fields - purple
    Larkspur - QIS Rose, Dark Blue, Lt blue, Mix, Gt Imp Lilac, Cannes Series mix and Cloud series blue
    Lilies - LA Hybrids
    Lisianthus - Echo Misty Blue & Mariachi Lime Green and Blue
    Lysimachia Clethroides - First time trying this......
    Marigold - Gold Coin series
    Millet - Purple Majesty - Lime - Honey
    Orlaya - White Lace - First time trying this.....
    Phlox Pan. - David and Orange Perfection
    Physostegia - White
    Ranunculus - Mix
    Rudbeckia - Irish Eyes and Goldilocks
    Salvia - Blue Bedder
    Scabiosa - Black Knight, Deep Red, Blue and Perfecta Lilac
    Sedum - Autumn Fire
    Snapdragon - Madame B/Fly mix and Chantilly
    Sorghum - Tx black and coloured uprights
    Statice - QIS Mix, Pastels and Yellow
    Sunflowers - Pro-cuts and Sunbright Supreme
    Spuria Iris
    Tansy
    Tuberoses - singles
    Veronica - Sightseeing mix and Sunny Border Blue
    Zinnia - Benary's Giants, Oklahoma and Peppermint Stick

Want to try Pumpkin on a Stick and some of the round on top peppers this year

Cheers - Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kim, great list. I want to try those peppers and pumkins too. I sent the pics.

Bryan

• all_bout_flowers
    16 years ago

Kim,
    You'll like Orlaya I tried it last year and I like it better than queen ann's it last a long time and does shed too bad.

• krystenleigh
    16 years ago

Bryan- do you have a greenhouse? Sorry, I'm new here and you seem pretty popular. This will be my second year gardening, and I'm obsessed with flowers I can use for cutting. Since we're in the same zone, I'm particularly interested in what you grow/how you do it. Last year I basically did "krystenproof" things and was pretty successful maintaining the flowers that were already here (we just bought the house and the lady who lived here was a fantastic gardener).
    I am particularly interested in plants that bloom continuously or at least have a relatively long blooming period. I got so disappointed when I had gorgeous flowers for a week or two and then nothing ever again (Irises and most of my lilies except daylilies).

And as soon as somebody invents a peony that blooms all summer long, I'll be able to die happy. :)

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

I am so overwhelmed. This will be my first year growing for market. You all are so confident and just lay it all out there for everyone to see. I have a list. 44 different kinds of flowers, but I haven't counted all the varieties. And it scares me to death and excites me beyond reason all at the same time.

I am most interested in the varieties of each flowers chosen, and the reasons behind them. I learn so much from all of you. I'm no beginner gardener, by any means, by I've always grown vegetables or flowers for my own personal pleasure. Cutting and selling adds a completely new terrifying dimension to it all.

If I post my list, would you all mind critiquing it (kindly, please - don't tell me I'm stupid - I'm already feeling a bit fragile) showing me where my weaknesses and holes are, maybe varieties that I should not hang my gardener's hat on?

• bfff_tx
    16 years ago

Sunnyjo
    Post it and lets see what you've got.
    Kim

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

OK, thanks for taking a look at it:

Antirrhinum majus - night and day
    Bells of Ireland
    Buddleia
    Delphinium - pacific giant
    Hollyhock - chaters double, indian spring
    Iris - dutch, spirea, bearded
    Larkspur - giant imperial, others
    Lily - asiatic, oriental
    Peony
    Stock - giant imperial
    Sunflower - peach passion, sunbright, sunrich orange summer, tohoku yae
    Tulip - red, yellow
    Verbascum - shades of summer, other

Agrostemma (corn cockle) - purple queen
    Calendula - deja vu
    Centaurea (bachelor button) - tall
    Columbine - McKanaÂs giant
    Coreopsis - double sunburst
    Daisy - shasta
    Dianthus (sweet william) - hollandia
    Gaillardia (blanket flower) -
    Godetia (clarkia)- farewell to spring
    Malva sylvetris - zebrina
    Marigold - gold coin, african jubilee
    Rudbeckia - indian summer
    Scabiosa (pincushion flower)
    Statice - pacific
    Sweet pea - 15 var. heirloom (a personal weakness)
    Yarrow - colorado
    Zinnia - benaryÂs giant, oklahoma improved, state fair, old mexico

Agastache (anise hyssop)
    Ageratum - tall blue planet
    Amaranthus - opopeo,love-lies-bleeding,love-lies-green
    Ammi majus - white dill
    Basil - cinnamon
    Celosia - CramerÂs amazon
    Cloud larkspur - blue, white
    Euphorbia
    Gomphrena - QIS mix, strawberry fields, bi-color rose
    Lavender - english tall
    Millet - purple majesty
    Polygonum (princeÂs feather)- kiss-me-over-the-garden-gate
    Salvia - lady in red, marble arch

• flower_farmer
    16 years ago

Sunnyjo,

I like your list. A very impressive list indeed.

The saying is that all bouquets should have a touch of blue. If this is true or not, we don't know. But, we seem to always add a touch. So, although I see that you have lavender, blue cloud larkspur and ageratum, I would recommend adding blue salvia to your list. The bonus of having the blue salvia is that is comes back year after year.

Also, amaranthus. The more variety. The better.

Sunflowers: You might want to add some of the ProCut series to you mix. They flower earlier and later in the season due to their being less daylength sensitive than some of the other sunflowers.

Millet: Tapestry

Ammi majus: Green Mist which adds a nice lime green to the bouquets.

And, just a couple more suggestions which are bulbs/tubers:

Dahlias -- just because :)
    Acidanthera
    Nanus Mix Gladiolus
    Crocosmia

Warmest Regards,
    Trish

• arjen
    16 years ago

Hi Sunnyjo and others,

I'm new to this as well, in the South-East of England, climate comparable to Oregon. I've got experience with veg, but new to growing and especially selling flowers...

Here is my list:

Achillea Cerise Queen
    Achillea Summer Pastels
    Ageratum Blue Horizon, Red Sea
    Agrostemma Ocean Pearl
    Antirrhinum Princess White with Purple Eye
    Antirrhinum Rocket Mixed
    Aquilegia Origami Mixed
    Aquilegia William Guinness
    Aquilegia Winky Mixed
    Armeria Joystick Mixed
    Aster Benary's
    Berkheya Silver Spikes
    Bupleurum Griffithii
    Calendula Balls Improved Orange
    Campanula Persicifolia Blue
    Campanula Persicifolia White
    Candytuft Iceberg Superior
    Canterbury Bells Blue
    Carnation Floristan Mixed, Raspberry Ripple
    Carthamus Kinko
    Carthamus Shiro
    Chrysanthemum Merry Mixed
    Dahlia Cactus Flowered Mix, Double Hybrids
    Dahlia Dandy Mixed
    Delphinium F2 New Century Dreaming Spires Mixed
    Delphinium Round Table Mixed
    Digitalis Excelsior Hybrids
    Digitalis Foxy
    Echinacea Purpurea Purple, White
    Echinops Platinum Blue
    Eryngium Alpinum Superbum
    Eucalyptus Gunnii
    Gaillardia Dazzler Mixed
    Hollyhocks Chaters Double Mixed
    Hollyhocks Fiesta Time
    Hollyhocks Fruity Mixed
    Larkspur Giant Imperials Special Mixed
    Larkspur Tall Hyacinth Flowered Mix
    Liatris Floristan White
    Molucella Molucella Laevis
    Monarda Didyma Panorama Red Shades
    Nigella Persian Jewels Mixed
    Pennisetum Cream Falls
    Physostegia Virginiana Crown of Snow
    Pyrethrum Robinson's Single Giant Hybrids Mixed
    Salvia Reference
    Scabiosa Beaujolais Bonnets
    Scabiosa Fama
    Statice Sunburst Mixed
    Statice Sunburst Soft Pastel Mixed
    Stocks Miracle Mixed
    Sunflower Junior (in pots)
    Sunflower Pastiche
    Sunflower Sonja
    Sunflower Soraya
    Sweet Pea High Scent
    Sweet Pea Mammoth Mixed
    Sweet William Hollandia Mixed
    Tagetes La Bamba (to grow in between the peonies against nematodes)
    Veronica Sightseeing
    Zinnia Giant Dahlia Flowered Mix, Oklahoma
    Poppy Oase, White Cloud (both paenoiflorum)
    Cornflower Balls mixed, Black Ball
    Didiscus Lacy Series
    Peonies Sarah Bernhardt, Kansas, Karl Rosenfeld
    Callistephus Matsumoto, Ostrich Plume

Any comments highly appreciated!

• Pudge 2b
    16 years ago

This will be my third year attending market and I'm small beans compared to some posters on this forum. The experience and advice handed out here is so incredibly helpful. So as one newbie to others, it does seem overwhelming but since you're experienced gardeners it will be easier than you are currently imagining. I found the past two years were a huge learning experience for me but not at all disappointing. Yeah, I made some mistakes but at the end of the season I was still pretty darn proud of my efforts and I've developed a good customer base at market.

My growing season is not at all like yours, but I can offer some thoughts on a few-.

I prefer the Rocket snaps but haven't grown the variety you mentioned. Rockets stand up extremely well in wind and I like the color blends. Last year I didn't plant enough, this year I'll be doubling or maybe tripling my planting (staggered dates). They go well in mixed bouquets and also sell in straight bunches.

Peony bouquets just fly off the table. I mix mine with Lady's Mantle which blooms the same time for me. I use a lot of Lady's Mantle in bouquets for as long as it keeps blooming, usually 3-4 weeks. It's very long lasting as a cut and has a nice fresh scent, too. I cut the peony 'marshmallows' daily throughout the week and hold them in the fridge until day before market when I arrange the bouquets. They can also be cut in tight bud with colour showing, they just take a day longer to open once set in water.

I love Pro Cut Orange sunflowers - they're just awesome to grow and cut. I tried some others last year but at the end they weren't worth the growing space. My season is short, though, so the Pro Cuts with staggered planting dates work best for me.

I grew Contessa Pale Pink Agrostemma last year and really, really liked it as did the customers - for an old fashioned plant, few people knew what it was. In the bouquets I home tested, each one of the unopened Agrostemma buds opened - the bouquets lasted really well. I'm going to sow the purple one this year, as well.

I noticed you don't have Baby's Breath on your list. This proved indispensable for me and I missed it when it was done blooming. I'll be sowing more of that this year, too.

I couldn't sell marigolds. I think it's because almost everyone around here plants one type or another. And I know Calendula is supposed to be a good cut, but I sure can't get them to last for more than 3 days.

On the flip side, I couldn't supply enough lilies. Any colour with any filler sold just as quick as the next. I always show customers how to pull off the pollen to keep a cleaner flower and table.

Statice is great for bouquets, and I found that some customers like straight bunches for their own drying purposes.

Last winter I bought the Armtigage book Specialty Cut Flowers and I found it really helpful and would highly recommend it.

There's plenty about selling at Farmers Market besides growing the flowers and now is a good time to think about displays, signs, how to transport, handouts, etc. I checked the Growing for Market site that perhaps Trish at one time recommended. On that site there is a downloadable PDF newsletter about farmers market - a variety of articles that I also found really helpful. The article on pricing is really good.

Finally ... good luck and have fun!

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

Many, many thanks to Trish and Pudge for their input. I'm copying your comments and suggestions to a place where I can use them ASAP.

Trish - I have been to your site numerous times. What I learn just by looking at your pictures is priceless. When it comes down to choosing the right ones for this medium - well, I would need some really specific direction from you. Also, my very best to you with your illness.

pudge - I am on the mailing list of GFM!

I hope to still be here 5, 10 years from now, still learning from all of you. And maybe along the way I can reciprocate.

THANKS AGAIN!!!!

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

Mentors - It only took me TWO HOURS, but I finally found a source for the tapestry millet seed! The rest was no problem, Knew right where to go. But I was about to throw in the towel and concede.

Trish - I already have a few black and blue salvia plants. Totally forgot about them. How many would you recommend for a first year marketer?

• flower_farmer
    16 years ago

Sunnyjo,

Sorry, I could have told you to check Johnny's Seeds for that tapestry, or Germania Seed.

It is really going to depend how many markets you are planning as far as blue salvia plants. We do four markets, and have six 200' rows of blue salvia. However, we also use alot of it in our wreaths. So, my thinking is that we never have too much blue salvia. The more you pick, the more it branches out and produces.

If you have just recently signed up for the Growing for Market publication, you may have missed the September 2007 edition. The article on growing dahlias was written by us. The suggested dahlias mentioned in the article are for beginner growers. If you don't have a copy, and would like one, please email me at dahliafarmer@yahoo.com with your address; and, I will send you a copy.

Meanwhile, these were our dahlia suggestions for beginning cutflower growers: Sophie K, Hamilton Lillian, Peaches n Cream, Kenora Lisa, Almand Joy, Jessie G, Christopher, Alice Chalifoux, Danae, Kidd's Climax, Rebecca Lynn.

Warmest Regards,

PS I would suggest adding some of those Canterbury Bells (Campanula) to your list as well. Customers LOVE them. The ones that we grow are planted in the fall for spring production. Because life took a different direction last fall, the little plants didn't get planted out in the field. They are planted in the ground in one of our hightunnels. We plan to move them to the field late spring because we need the space for our lisianthus in the hightunnel.

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

krystenleigh, I do have two hoophouses, a new 15' X 250' will be put up this next year. Those are mainly for greens growing and snaps, also the boys are big into house plants. About 1/2 of our flats are done by our local jail. In fact I was told yesterday that the prisoners told the deputy I was trying to send them back to rehab with the small sends. LOL. I told them they could germinate and then transplant versus putting a single seed into each cell. Rebloomers/long blooming perid: Statice, Zinnas, Snaps, Veronica, Rudbeckias (quicking becoming my favorite), Echinacea (also a great flower), Echinops, Lilies, the list goes for ever.

Sunnyo, Pacfic giants were too tall, agrostemma didn't work well for me, Indian Summer (grow tons!), Celosia (HiZ is better), Gomphrena and Millet (grow tons). The rest looks good.

Arjen, that list is huge. Summer pastels did not work for me, Campanula add champion, echinops ritro is better, Veronica longfolia is taller, the rest looks OK, some I have not tried.

Trish, thank you very much for the CD. It will help tons. I have a order in with the local wholesaler that still owes me a few hundred $ from Millet for a HANDS on!

Good luck to all. I will get my woody order posted later this week.

Bryan

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

TRISH - Johnny's isn't showing the tapestry, or the "search" and I are just missing it. First place I looked. Ended up at Seedman. Don't remember if I looked at Germania or not... went a lot of places! Will remember them next time.

BRYAN - Thanks for the tip on the "pacific". I've added the "rocket" that Pudge suggested.

Thanks to everyone for the additional flower suggestions. I take all of you very seriously! "Trust" doesn't begin to describe it. I've been reading everything I could get my hands on, via online, subscriptions, and books, since before last September when I made this decision to grow cut flowers for market. I believe this forum was one of the very first places I found that encouraged this seed in my mind, so it kinda feels like "home" to me. If I had a little "bowing down" icon for you, it would be right here:

Wind bringing storms outside today. Off to do some inside seed-planting...

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sunnyjo, check Gloeckner for tapestry it is 5M for $8.75.

• flower_farmer
    16 years ago

Sunnyjo,

Your trust and admiration is very humbling. Don't ever believe that we are not also learning from you. Sometimes new growers may have an item on their list that some of us haven't thought of growing. We are always learning. ALWAYS.

The more we can promote locally grown cut flowers, the better it is for all of us specialty cut flower growers.

We do grow the Agrostemma. While it is very tedious to cut, the customers love it in their bouquets because of its old fashioned look. And, there is just going to be one plant that you just hate cutting. I guess it is just part and parcel of being a grower.

Also, early in the season, when we are desperate for something green in the bouquet, we raid the shady garden and cut our hosta leaves. It gives a nice finished look to bouquets. Word of warning, however. They need to be put in hydrating solution for about an hour or even overnight before using it. Otherwise, they wilt. Hydrating solution makes them stay all perky!

Warmest Regards,
    Trish

• flower_farmer
    16 years ago

P.S. Folks. Johnny's does carry the tapestry. It called Highlander It's Setaria italica. The same thing as some of the other companies are calling Tapestry Millet.

Warmest Regards,
    Trish

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

Thanks, Trish. I try to notice things like that. This one got by me. I suppose because the only name I knew it by was Tapestry, and my brain was too tired at that moment to go beyond that.

And I've made a note for Gloeckner's, as well, Bryan.

Thanks!

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

sunnyjo, Trish is right. I guess I didn't ask which type of tapestry. The tapestry that Gloeckner buys from Cramers posie patch is up right. see URL

http://www.cramersseeds.com/pages/millettap.htm

The seed that johnnys sells gives you a pendulous or hanging type. see URL

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/catalog/product.aspx?category=58&subcategory=94&item=1599

I do grow both types are both are great fresh and dried.

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

All ya'll are trying to confuse me now...

• kitkat_oregon
    16 years ago

Morning all, I have a few questions for this thread. Do any of you grow Jewels of Opar (Talinum) and if so, how does it hold up? Setaria Italica Lime vs. the Tapestry is one better than the other or are they both worthy of space? Giant copperhead amaranth, I love the color in the photos but is it worth the time and energy or are other amaranths more efficient? Thanks in advance as always for any and all input. Kat

• bfff_tx
    16 years ago

Kat
    I grow Talinum and it holds up well, I normally cut it in the a.m. into water b/4 it gets too warm and strip majority of the foliage. The more you cut the stuff the better . Also try and cut it when the berry are yellow to orange, once they age you'll end up with red but also the possibility of it shedding seeds. It's terribly invasive. One thing I love about it though, is the pink flowers on it when cut, the new ones will open each afternoon.
    I've seen the copperhead (from another grower) in one of my florists coolers and it pales in comparison when it's placed next to the Opopeo that I grow. Not my colour but hey, your choice right.
    Cheers - Kim
    Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

• kitkat_oregon
    16 years ago

Hi Kim, thanks for the 'invasive' heads up on the Talinum. I will look into Opopeo amaranth, it seems that I remember some of the other masters on here were singing its praises on another thread. I had forgotten about it. Thanks again.

• sunnyjo
    16 years ago

I catch myself looking at all those seed packets, the seeds that are sprouting, the bags of soils to mix, the books, the charts, the pictures, the waiting buckets, the shrinking checking account, and laugh. Lord, I must have lost my mind!

And then I go back and plant a few more seeds, just in case, 'cause you never know when you might need them ... LOL!

• pitt
    16 years ago

We are starting our seventh year as market gardeners and have learned so much from this sight. . .thanks to all! Our order for this year is as follows ( ** means first year for us)

Ageratum, Blue Horizon
    Ageratum, Blue Planet **
    Amaranthus cruentus, Autumn's Pallet **
    Amaranthus cruentus, Autumn's Touch **
    Amaranthus cruentus, Hot Biscuits (been good at market)
    Amaranthus cruentus, Twin Towers Green **
    Amaranthus hypochondriacus, Green Thumb **
    Ammi visnaga, Green Mist (good, as your know!)
    Antirrhinum, Rocket Mix
    Artemisia - Cramers' Cousin Annie (use lots!)
    Aster, Bouquet Powderpuff Mix (seeded out-we were lucky)
    Aste, Gala Mix (seeded out last year)
    Basil Sweet Dani (used alot with zinnias for sm. bouquet)
    Bells of Ireland
    Bupleurum griffithii, Green Gold
    Celosia cristata, Chief Mix
    Celosia, Century Mix
    Celosia, Cramers' Burgundy (lost most last year-damping)
    Celosia, Cramers' Lemon-lime (same)
    Celosia, Pampas Plume (always good for quick filler)
    Dahlias (still working on order ; )
    Delphinium Consolida regalis, Cloud Snow (reseeder, too)
    Dianthus, Amazon Neon Cherry (florists buy quite a bit)
    Dianthus, Amazon Neon Purple (same)
    Dianthus, Amazon Neon Rose Magic (same)
    Dill, Dukat (use all season at market)
    Euphorbia marginata, Icicle **
    Euphorbia marginata, Snow on the Mountain **
    Helianthus, Moulin Rouge
    Helianthus, ProCut Bicolor
    Helianthus, Sunbright Supreme (our staple)
    Helianthus, Sunrich Gold (early planting of these)
    Helianthus, Sunrich Lemon
    Helianthus, Sunrich, Orange
    Sorghum, Red, Texas Black, Mixed (popular last year)
    Statice, QIS Mix
    Statice, Turbo Mix (new to us last year -- lots of stems)
    Sweet Pea, Mammoth, Incense**, Elegance** (gotta have sp's)
    Zinnia, Benary--pink, crimson, deep red, orange, purple
    Zinnia, Peppermint Stick **

Established perennials are:
    Peony, Yarrow-Colorado, Lilies A&O (and a little of this and that)

Starting our seeding tomorrow!!

pitt from Indiana-zone 5

• im_a_believer
    16 years ago

Bryan -- how do you cut your Echinops ritro? These are such a beautiful blue globe flower and the customers love them in a bouquet, but I hate to cut them!

Also, I saw a couple listing hollyhocks. What are the secret to cutting these. Every time I've tested them...the flowers always wilt within a few hours.

Thanks.

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

im a, I cut them at 1/2 the height of the plant usually, so about 24". They usually grow 4' tall. That is a plant I should have enough of this year (almost 1,000 plants). People do love them, they are easy to grow and tend to.

I did add Echinacea Rubinstern and Delphinium Belladonna and Oriental Sky.

I need to quit ordering new seed.

Everything is coming up good and I have started to transplant already. 14,000+ plants takes a lot of room I have found.

Bryan

• flowerchild08
    16 years ago

We are planning to start sales at a farmer's market in Denver this summer, growing some of our own and supplementing with those from other local growers. Your comments and suggestions above have been invaluable!

I was hoping for a little advice with our grow list this year given that we have very little space to work with to start. Could any of you comment on the best yielding options among the following?

Larkspur
    Snapdragons
    Bells of Ireland
    Sunflowers
    Statice
    Gomphrena
    Sweet Peas
    Veronica Longfolia
    Yarrow
    Zinnias
    Dianthus - Sweet William
    Ammi - Green Mist
    Millet - Purple Majesty & Lime
    Verbena Bonarensis
    Amaranthus
    Asclepias
    Talinum Paniculatum - Jewels of Opam

We will probably only be able to pick 5 or 6 of these to do and we'd like to get the biggest bang for our buck. Probably be direct-sowing except for some of the perennials (like yarrow).

Your thoughts would surely be appreciated.

Jody

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Judy, if you are going for 6 cheap, bang for buck and direct seed. I would do Larkspur, Bells of Ireland, Sunflowers, Sweet Peas, Zinnias, Millet. Buy your seed if possible from a wild flower seed co. 1/2 pound is usually what they sell them in, but it is usually as cheap as a few hundred seed else where.

If you want perennial, look at the above lists.

Good luck.

Bryan

• flowerchild08
    16 years ago

Bryan - you read my mind. Was headed toward exactly those with the exception of Bells which I thought would come in too late to be worth it. Appreciate your advice.

Thanks

Jody

• mydream
    16 years ago

Wow..what beautiful lists.
    I only have a small yard but I love reading what other people are planting.
    Thank you for sharing.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

Assorted Roses
    Dahlias: Wheels,
    Honka,
    Pennsgift,
    Lulu Patti
    Amaranth: Love lies bleeding
    hot biscuits
    Sunflower: lemon eclair
    baby's breath: pink and white
    Malva: Braveheart
    Kochia: burning bush
    asters: crego mix
    phlox: isabellina
    gaillarida: arizona sun
    Gaillarida: summers kiss summers kiss
    snapdragons: mystery mix
    stocks: some sort of berry ripple, I forget exactly.
    calendula: radio
    cosmos: sea shells
    Venidium: zulu prince
    Celosia: plumed ones, tall.
    larkspur: (tall ones)
    nigella: Kramer's plum
    sweet pea: blue ripple
    Nebraska Wedding tomato for eating :>)

• backyardgrown
    15 years ago

So, how's it going? I'm starting small this year, and just now getting sunflowers and zinnias in the ground. That's all I'm doing this year because my local florist said she can't get good zinnias and sunflowers at the wholesale market. Score one for me!

I'm using Benary's Giants (mixed) and Pro-cut orange.

This is my wish list for next year since I just got started:

Delphinium Aurora Mix
    Echinaciea Primadonna Deep Rose
    Liatris Floristan Violet (and some white variety if I can find the bulbs/seeds)
    Leucanthemum Crazy Daisy
    Rudbeckia Autumn Colors and Indian Summer
    Dianthus Sweet William - Dianthus are some of my favorite flowers, so even if they don't sell, no biggie.
    Verbascum Southern Charm
    Blue bedder sage - already started the seeds for this
    English daisy (red only)- seeds started
    Gomphrena QIS formula mix- Another one I love, primarily for me, so if they sell at all another bonus
    A variety of fresh cut annual and perennial herbs
    Dappled willow if I can find one
    Hydrangea - Don't know about this one yet, but I have a perfect spot in my yard for about 5 shrubs.
    Glads, mixed colors

How are everyone's flowers looking?

Jennifer

• goshawker
    15 years ago

Hello Bryan! Trish too!

Sounds like you two are doing well. I've been absent from the forum for awhile due to several reasons. I really wrecked my back last fall(ruptured my L5, S1 disk) and went through pyshical therapy for 4 months in order to be able to work this year. I have avoided surgery for the time being and so far, this planting season hasn't been too awfully painful.

I've added some new woodies to my "already too large for one person to manage" field. I put in 100 Avalanche lilacs, 50 Ruby spice summersweet, 50 Arnold red honeysuckle, 50 Guincho purple elder, 100 Saugeana Chinese lilac, 50 Calicapra beautyberry, 20 Exochorda pearlsbush, 50 Fothergilla mount airy, 50 French pussy willow, 50 Charles Joly lilac, 50 Pres Grevy lilac, 50 chinese lilac sunday, 50 Asessippi Lilac, and 20 Seven-son flower. That field has now grown to 9 acres of woodies. I started it 5 years ago and I'll finally be able to harvest my snowball viburnum, cranberry viburnum, blue muffin viburnum, pee-gee hydrangea. I will also be able to harvest some lilacs; Sensation, Beauty of moscow, Wedgewood blue, Monge purple, Mount baker, and Pocahontas.

Some of my baptisia crosses will flower for the first time this year as well, so I will finally see what the hybrids look like.

The annuals are prety much the same as most with Suns, Zins and glads making up the bulk of the main event flowers. I should have about a 1/2 acre of butterfly milkeed this year. That orange always looks great with the purple hoary vervain and suns. I also have the rest of my natives to compliment the boquets.

Due to my back injury, we didn't do nearly as many wreaths last year, hopefully this year I can stay injury free.

Trish,

We might be taking a late summer trip to Michigan. Where are you located and would you mind visitors?

Nice to read all the info and see what people are up to again. It gets me amped up to get er' done!

Take care,

Steve

• bryan_ut
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Steve, great to hear from you again. Sorry about the back. I understand though, cutting and farming is hard on the back. We are still cutting pussywillow and making wreaths, the FM started Saturday and the farm is only 1/2 planted. We have had a cold wet year, but everything seems to be coming up OK. When you get some time send me a few pictures and I will try and do the same. I hope this year is better for you!!

Bryan

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

Hi All~I have decided to start (very) small next year (2009), and maybe use the sample plan found in the book The Flower Farmer to gain some first hand experience. The list includes:
    Larkspur
    Gomphrena 'Carmine'
    Ageratum 'Blue Horizon'(I've grown low-growers successfully)
    Antirrhinum 'Rocket Mix'
    Zinnia 'Benary's Giant'
    Salvia 'Victoria' (I've grown this successfully)
    Salvia 'Icterina' (my own substitution for tricolor sage, I've grown both successfully)
    Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer'
    Celosia argentea var. cristata (Cockscomb)(Have grown successfully)
    Cosmos 'Versailles' (and I like 'Candy Stripe')
    Helianthus 'Sunrich Orange' and 'Sunbright'

Is it too late to include larkspur? If so, what is a good substitute? What cultivar would you recommend for zone 5?

I also plan to try Bells of Ireland and to grow Purple Majesty Millet and Jewels of Opar (successful with these last season). I've not had good luck with sweet peas. Thanks.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths