Return to the Cutting Garden Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello and need help about purchasing plugs

Posted by reddogie 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 5, 10 at 17:45

Hi all,

I've enjoyed this forum from afar for about a year or so. We will be in our third year of providing cutflowers for local small grocery markets and some subscriptions.

Although I have always started almost all my seedlings myself,I am realizing that there may be a more practical method (although more costly) i.e. purchasing plugs. I start seedlings under lights in a basement - but I do have two large hoop coldframes and will be adding an even larger one this spring. My need is to get a jump on the sluggish advent of summer here in mid-Maine.

A while back in the archives of this forum was a discussion about plugs and the various companies people used. Since those posts seem to be gone, I would love any help any of you veterans could give to me on how to purchase plugs, where, and if they really make sense.

Finally rested from last year's garden season and I'm getting antsy for the coming year!

Thank you all in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello and need help about purchasing plugs

They do if you have a greenhouse to continue them on growing. We've looked at plugs in the past but found that most of what we grow is not offered in plugs. Also you get maybe more than you need for a particular variety. We grow all our plants from seeds . . . more work, but you get what you want and in the quantities you want. In addition we have the space to grow everything from seed, almost 4,000 seedlings. If you are a bigger grower plugs may be the way to grow . . . but I still like the selection from seed and the option to grow as much or as little as you need.

o

I love plugs. I love them for stuff that has spotty germination, long germination times and they save time and energy, at least for me. Try Germania Seed, they represent a whole host of suppliers, many with small or no minimums. Some will charge a 19.95 fee for orders under a certain size or amount but then you do have to deal with shipping as well so try to choose vendors who are at least on your side of the continent. The suppliers usually offer a huge selection often with the most up to date 'fashion'flowers. Best of luck. Kat

o

Hi Reddogies
The main plug growers for annual cut flowers that I've purchased from are:-
Gro N Sell: - Pa
Headstart Nursery - Ca
C. Raker & Sons: - Mi
Plug Connection - Ca
Perennials can also be obtained from above, plus:-
Swift Greenhouse - Ia

Most of these companies will only accept orders through their brokers, so dependent on who you like dealing with, there's : - Germania, Fred C. Gloeckner & Co., Park Seed Wholesale and Harris Seeds.
Cheers Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cutting Garden Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here